Med costs

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I sent my wife into the vets office today to pick up some lute. I called in advance and told them I needed some. Preferably a whole vial, but at least 2 doses.
Heifer may have gotten herself bred.
Wife gets back and has 2 doses at a cost of 30 bucks.
Yep. Got screwed.
I do almost all of our own vet stuff here, and haven't had any real bad issues requiring a vet, so no big relationship with any vet.
I'm afraid to ask for anything else I'd like to keep on hand.

My vet, which do have experience with, told me that he could sell me a vial cheaper than he could if he drew up three separate doses, so I paid the $22.00 and was happy.

I always leave the vet clinic feeling like I got the blind hog treatment as we say in my part of Kentucky.

I was suprised at the cost of some meds I bought lately...I guess the pharmacutical companys are jumping on the price hike wagon too...I mean, have you heard the price those people are getting for cattle these days.....

Ok. Let me rephrase this:
Is 30 bucks our of line for 2 doses of lute when I can buy a 6 dise bottle for 20 with a scrip?

Well, add up the cost,
You basically bought the to bottle of lute. The vet probably was required by law to open a new bottle, who knows if he/she will be able to use up the bottle before expiration. This is a chance the vet will have to take. So instead of worrying about taking a loss on the bottle, the vet charges you for the bottle.
2 needles
2 syringes
Time to do it.
Think of how many times the vet gets requests like this for the many amount of drugs used. That is alot of open bottles, with risk of expiration before consumption. Little losses add up throughout the year amount to big losses.

Rr, that's why I asked for a whole bottle. I have plenty of syringes and needles. Just need the drugs.
Don't know about the legal side of it.
That's why I'm asking

phoned ahead and told them wanted the whole vial?
So why didn't they just set one aside and charge him for that?
Maybe it's different for that vet, but here the vet turns up on farm with his truck containing a supply of meds, if he needs to draw some off for your animal he does. They're part-bottles when he arrives and part-bottles when he leaves and although he tries to avoid doing that, there's times he's handed over what's left in the antibiotic bottle and said that's enough for the next two doses and then call us if she's not better and might need more.
The problem with lute in this country is that the farmer isn't allowed to handle it or store it on farm. I tried the trick of asking for a bottle of it to keep on farm (knowing it wasn't allowed) and was given the number of doses drawn up into separate syringes.

That's the part I don't know about Rego. The legal side of it here.
I did ask for a whole bottle. Wifey just now told me he said he didn't have a whole bottle.

then that makes sense. They should have told you that when you called though... same situation as in my thread on vet issues the other day, sometimes it's better to get what you need another time than be fobbed off with something different or in this case, a lower quantity at a higher price.
Unless syringes and needles are a lot more expensive than in this country $30 is still over-charging - they've sold the other doses in that bottle already, you don't owe them for the whole bottle.

Maybe should add that your wife should be wearing gloves to handle those syringes... it won't harm you but traces absorbed through the skin could affect her cycle. That's part of the reason why vets are really snippy about me handling it, regardless of what the law says.

Hook, the thing you have to remember is, the vets main business is providing veterinary services. Most are not interested in providing a retail outlet for drugs. In Australia, the law says that we can prescribe and dispense restricted drugs for animals that are directly under our care. This is often stretched a fair bit. If I had been the vet you called, I would have checked up on your records to ensure I had made a visit to your place within the last 12 months, so that I was at least familiar with what animals you had there and what your setup was. If I had no record of a visit, your request would be declined. If I had been out and was happy to dispense, I would make a record of what animal the drugs were for, what the problem was, the dosage recommended and the instructions I gave you.
I would imagine the law would be very similiar in your country. Even with all this to cover my @rse, if your wife place those syringes on the passenger seat of her car and picked up a pregnant friend who sat down on the syringe and as a result aborted a baby. I can bet that the whole liability of it all would come back to me. I would be in strife from the Veterinary Medicines regulatory authority, the Veterinary Surgeons Board and I am sure the womans solicitor would be after me as well.
It is a very tricky situation, and though I used restricted drugs everyday of my working life, I had no desire to retail them beyond my control. I always tried to help people out within in reason and had no hesitation in charging a dispensing fee for the correct labelling and record keeping involved. I was not a retail outlet for restricted drugs.
The vet is not the one that makes the rules about these restricted drugs. The rules are there for a reason.
I often see Dun offering new people advice. He always suggests that they see a vet and form a relationship with that vet. That is very good advice, and would maximise your chances of getting supplies within reason.
Ken

Maybe I should clarify the relationship with this vet. He's the only la vet around.
He's also tw person I bought my first bred cow off of. And it was him I called to have the first calf pulled even if he was unable to make it because he was on another call

What wbvs describes is similar to the rules in this country (though we farmers certainly grumble at the cost of drugs I'll take his word for it that it's not his main source of income).
US/Canada aren't as law-restricted yet - maybe someone else could explain what the requirements are in those areas - but continued action to improve traceability/marketability/human safety will find you where we already are, in a few more years.

regolith":3kxkp0wq said:
What wbvs describes is similar to the rules in this country (though we farmers certainly grumble at the cost of drugs I'll take his word for it that it's not his main source of income).
US/Canada aren't as law-restricted yet - maybe someone else could explain what the requirements are in those areas - but continued action to improve traceability/marketability/human safety will find you where we already are, in a few more years.

Yes lute is restricted here also.

Latest posts