Meat Quality

Help Support CattleToday:

sstterry said:
Branded is right on this one. It is not the fat from animals that is causing health problems, it is the sugar and processed foods. All that hooey about avoiding high-fat foods was from studies in the 1960's paid for by the sugar industry. There is more and more research that shows the cholesterol problems some people have is more based on heredity than diet. But definitely high sugar and processed foods cause weight gain and diabetes.

Seems I remember something in that book about wearing garments with blended threads, planting more that one type of seed in a plot, and mating different breeds of animals.

I am one of those on the good side of inheritance and I do agree with you but WOW, I cannot handle those big blobs of fat. Whether on a steak or pork. You are so correct about sugar. It is a proven killer. As bad as smoking.

I was out dining at a nice restaurant with a couple old friends this weekend. One ordered a healthy meal. But by the time he got finished putting butter, brown sugar, sour cream, and dressing on his baked potato and even his asparagus, It was not that healthy.

Bright Raven said:
by the time he got finished putting butter, brown sugar, sour cream, and dressing on his baked potato and even his asparagus, It was not that healthy.

Who the heck puts brown sugar on a baked potato? BTW I agree with you about the big blobs of fat.

sstterry said:
Bright Raven said:
by the time he got finished putting butter, brown sugar, sour cream, and dressing on his baked potato and even his asparagus, It was not that healthy.

Who the heck puts brown sugar on a baked potato? BTW I agree with you about the big blobs of fat.

It is very common here. If you order a baked potato or baked sweet potato, if you say "loaded". It comes with sour cream, butter, brown sugar, and chopped onion. If you load it down with that, it becomes a dessert.

Bright Raven said:
sstterry said:
Bright Raven said:

It is very common here. If you order a baked potato or baked sweet potato, if you say "loaded". It comes with sour cream, butter, brown sugar, and chopped onion. If you load it down with that, it becomes a dessert.

My wife puts cinnamon on our sweet potatoes. Eating healthy is for the faint of heart. We eat healthy I just eat to much, but you never know when it might be your last meal.

Sugar is far worse than fat any day of the week, and it's in everything.

Avoid processed foods, and sugar and it's amazing how quickly those pants become loose.

I don't mind fat on the meat, I think it gives it a good flavor when cooked, but I cut it off and don't eat it. I can tell you from first hand experience that if you get a hold of some mutton fat even in barbecue it will flat out ruin your day.
My grandmother lived to 97 and you'd be hard pressed to find anybody that ate more meat than she did.
I agree about the processed food being unhealthy. I can tell a difference when we are traveling and eating out a lot, I just don't handle it well. My stomach does much better with a balance of meat and fruits and vegetables.

True Grit Farms said:
Bright Raven said:
sstterry said:

My wife puts cinnamon on our sweet potatoes. Eating healthy is for the faint of heart. We eat healthy I just eat to much, but you never know when it might be your last meal.
There's life, there's death, and there's living. I see so many giving up so many of the things they enjoy, like, & love, just to add a few years of 'breath in-breath out/keep the heart beating' that I wonder about what used to be relevant only to end of life scenarios. "Quality of life". At some point, we aren't 'us' anymore, we're someone else. We become 'them', part of the faddish crowd that people hawking books and health food are making big $$ off of.
I recently got a new primary care physician and because of a off comment I made about drinking real milk, he recommended I shouldn't be drinking milk at all because "after about age 30, we don't metabolize lactose anyway and we need to be getting our Vit D in tablet form and drink almond milk instead of cow's milk" .
Told him you can forget that.."I drink it because I like it and aint about to start drinking or eating fake anything..next thing you'll be wanting me to give up beef and start eating sheepmeat and kale".

Ever see anyone with a bucket list that said "I want to give up pasta, white bread and rice"?
Didn't think so.
Everything in moderation, including and especially moderation.
I really believe, all these faddish diets and health foods is a good bit of what has changed so many of this country's people into the wimps they have become, especially the male population. No longer the aggressive, do-anything, work thru it and improvise and overcome nation we once were. Something's missing..

As Augustus McCrae once said It's not dyin I'm talking about..it's living
I don't mean taking on the stupid teen YOLO type lifestyle, but good grief..
Are we really supposed to turn into a bunch of whinny women like you see on reality shows?
Not me, and the older I get, the more I feel this way.

I think too many of us think of diet (as in what we eat, not "I need to go on a diet") in a very cut and dry, one size fits all approach. My husband, my daughter and I all need to eat red meat at least a couple of meals a week, if not daily. That may not sound often to many, or too often to others. The fact is, the 3 of us become anemic within hours, not days.

I try to stick to the idea to eat as much fresh food as possible, grow or buy local as much of it as I can, and be sensible about the rest of it. In general, we don't eat fast food or keep junk food in the house, ice cream is as wild as we get. The fact is, my daughter was never given those things as she was growing, and she has no desire for them now.

Boot Jack Bulls said:
I think too many of us think of diet (as in what we eat, not "I need to go on a diet") in a very cut and dry, one size fits all approach. My husband, my daughter and I all need to eat red meat at least a couple of meals a week, if not daily. That may not sound often to many, or too often to others. The fact is, the 3 of us become anemic within hours, not days.

I try to stick to the idea to eat as much fresh food as possible, grow or buy local as much of it as I can, and be sensible about the rest of it. In general, we don't eat fast food or keep junk food in the house, ice cream is as wild as we get. The fact is, my daughter was never given those things as she was growing, and she has no desire for them now.

What you said makes total sense. A strictly vegan diet has its drawbacks, and even the die-hard vegans cannot deny what you posted above.

Just curious. What did you feed it and how much? I would love to be able to grow them that fast.

Lucasbranham said:
Just curious. What did you feed it and how much? I would love to be able to grow them that fast.

Our calves don't get creep feed, but do eat alongside the cows a couple times a week average though during the summer and almost daily in winter. They don't get a lot feed that way but are introduced to it so they are used to eating when weaned. We wean our calves and background a while before selling. I start them out with maybe 3 to 4 lbs a day and then work up to 5 to 7 lbs depending on weather and available forage quality. The ones that we have fattened for beef have so far been wintered with young bulls their age and only fed once a day and toward the lighter amount cause they were on another farm. I put them in a lot to fatten and then gradually build them up to about maybe 25 lbs or more per day depending on how much they will eat. I back off if they start leaving it. I feed pretty heavy for about 90 days. I just feed puts the same ration that we use for everything else, a house mix that our local feed store mixes, made up of corn gluten pellets, soy hulls, cracked corn and dried distillers grain. I think it is 12% protein. I also select for bulls that are larger framed, and most of our cows are upper end of moderate to larger framed and most will weigh between 1250 to 1450. With a few a little larger.

Son of Butch said:
Thank You Dr Brook
Great to hear a testimonial from a man you never met, it means soo much.

But I did meet him, and I saw how he lived. How are you able to dispute that, are you clairvoyant?

************* said:
My great grandfather consumed huge amounts of fat from pork and beef...
Plowed his fields with draft horses, did not have any machines to farm with.
I knew your great grandfather about as well as you did.
Though serving him Huge Amounts of Fat, you'd know him better.
Sam the Sham sang of him too back in '65.

Strolled right up to me
He had one big eye and two big feet
Drank hot coffee right from the spout
He ate raw meat right from my hand
He drank hot grease from the frying pan
Made noise with his feet, sounded like a drum
And said to me you better run
And don't be here when the morning comes...

Son of Butch said:
************* said:
My great grandfather consumed huge amounts of fat from pork and beef...
Plowed his fields with draft horses, did not have any machines to farm with.
I knew your great grandfather about as well as you did.
Though serving him Huge Amounts of Fat, you'd know him better.
Sam the Sham sang of him too back in '65.

Strolled right up to me
He had one big eye and two big feet
Drank hot coffee right from the spout
He ate raw meat right from my hand
He drank hot grease from the frying pan
Made noise with his feet, sounded like a drum
And said to me you better run
And don't be here when the morning comes...

I have photos if you don't believe me. I know every one on here needs proof for everything.

If farming today involved what he dealt with, I would not be doing it.

He didn't smoke, didn't drink, didn't miss church, and knew his Bible. A far better man than me.