Meat Quality

Help Support CattleToday:

Ky hills

Reaction score
Posted a picture of some steaks last night on the recipes and cooking section. It got me to thinking that probably not many cow calf producers my self included know how our calves do as far as feeding out and end product quality.
These are T bone steaks from a purebred Hereford steer. He was around 14 months old when processed. We paid the processor for around 750 lbs, I don't know what the live weight was but would guess it to have been around 1200 to 1300. He was a full sibling to the heifer calf with the white stripe down her shoulder that I posted a few weeks ago.

Ky hills said:
Posted a picture of some steaks last night on the recipes and cooking section. It got me to thinking that probably not many cow calf producers my self included know how our calves do as far as feeding out and end product quality.
These are T bone steaks from a purebred Hereford steer. He was around 14 months old when processed. We paid the processor for around 750 lbs, I don't know what the live weight was but would guess it to have been around 1200 to 1300. He was a full sibling to the heifer calf with the white stripe down her shoulder that I posted a few weeks ago.

How did they taste?

Based on what you said above, I would take your steaks over anything found at the local grocery or Kroger's in a heartbeat.

************* said:
Ky hills said:

How did they taste?

Based on what you said above, I would take your steaks over anything found at the local grocery or Kroger's in a heartbeat.

Thank you, Branded. They have been very good. We have enjoyed having our own beef. This is the second one we have done the first was an Angus which we thought was really good too.

Ky hills said:
************* said:
Ky hills said:

How did they taste?

Thank you, Branded. They have been very good. We have enjoyed having our own beef. This is the second one we have done the first was an Angus which we thought was really good too.

The way it should be.

I'm no fan of mass production, although I know it's inevitable. Don't even get me started on my thoughts on JBS. I had better keep my mouth shut, LOL! Hard thing to do for me.

You have a very good product, keep up the great work. I had a Hereford standing rib roast a couple of years ago at Christmas, I thought I had died and gone to heaven. Best thing I have ever tasted!

TennesseeTuxedo said:
Looks very fatty. Could be my phone.

I may be wrong, but I bet that the meat tastes very good.

One thing is for sure, Hill's steaks probably don't resemble shoe leather like some steaks I see in the grocery.

We used to sell steers and heifers to an operation that did grassfed meats and processing. We sold them as weaned plus and they grew them out. The odd complaint was that they found the cuts, such as ribeye to be too big. Yields and quality were good. I never chased it beyond that.

TennesseeTuxedo said:

It does have quite a bit of fat on the outside, but has good marbling. The live calf did not appear to be too fat, I was actually concerned that he wasn't fat enough. I don't know what is customary if some processors trim fat off and some don't. Our first beef was done at a different processor and did not have as much fat.

************* said:
TennesseeTuxedo said:

I may be wrong, but I bet that the meat tastes very good.

One thing is for sure, Hill's steaks probably don't resemble shoe leather like some steaks I see in the grocery.

We have been very satisfied with both our Angus and Hereford beef, it does seem better to us than store bought. The other cuts haven't disappointed either, my wife can fix literally fork tender roasts from these. The ground beef has a much softer texture as well, in comparison to store bought.
My wife said she was sad when we ran out our first beef a few weeks before getting the other one.

Those steaks look great, and right on, on the live weight, got my mouth waterin, may have to butcher one this year.

I like our beef.. can't compare to the store bought.. the ground beef actually fries instead of boiling in the frying pan.. I butcher a little later, grassfed only.

This was tasty

We have not killed anything for beef in a long time. Just me and the wife. In the past we would kill a beef that was still sucking around 500 to 600 lbs. This size made pretty good beef for us lean and tender and the right size for us.

Ky hills said:
It does have more fat (not referring to the marbling) than grocery store 'choice' steaks, but yours is exactly how I like my steaks. That fat melts during cooking for the most part and gives it taste and texture that marbling alone can't do.

The first bite of a steak,for me, is the fat. That will tell the whole story on the flavor and if it was properly finished. :cowboy: :nod:

Not saying that I'm any better or don't partake... but
Funny how in that old book that very few seem to read very closely with understanding, in the law
given to maintain health, one of the things we were told was not to eat the fat of animals.

Took 3,000 years for science to arrive at same conclusion. But instead of refraining to stay healthy,
today we're given cholesterol inhibitors to continue merrily on our way repeating the same error
to the detriment of our health. (Again not saying I behave any better than the average American.)

Son of Butch said:
Not saying that I'm any better or don't partake... but
Funny how in that old book that very few seem to read very closely with understanding, in the law
given to maintain health, one of the things we were told was not to eat the fat of animals.

Took 3,000 years for science to arrive at same conclusion. But instead of refraining to stay healthy,
today we're given cholesterol inhibitors to continue merrily on our way repeating the same error
to the detriment of our health. (Again not saying I behave any better than the average American.)

Fat from beef is not killing people, inactivity and heavily processed food is far worse.

My great grandfather consumed huge amounts of fat from pork and beef, and he lived past 90 years old and was thin. Of course he did a lot of hard physical labor. Plowed his fields with draft horses, did not have any machines to farm with. That way of life demands fat. Clicking channels in a Lazy Boy demands statin drugs.

Branded is right on this one. It is not the fat from animals that is causing health problems, it is the sugar and processed foods. All that hooey about avoiding high-fat foods was from studies in the 1960's paid for by the sugar industry. There is more and more research that shows the cholesterol problems some people have is more based on heredity than diet. But definitely high sugar and processed foods cause weight gain and diabetes.

Seems I remember something in that book about wearing garments with blended threads, planting more that one type of seed in a plot, and mating different breeds of animals.