Meanest Bull

Help Support CattleToday:

Meanest bull I ever saw was Holstein. Gentlest bull was same Holstein. Guy who had him got trap up the silo chute for 4 hours one day. When they got him down bull went to chute for what the old man said was some attitude readjustment. He proceeded to put ring in the bulls nose and attached 3' long 3/8 log chain to it. He then attached 3 concrete blocks to chain and turned bull loose. After about 2 weeks the blocks broke off. By then the readjustment had taken place.

Holstein here also. Lived in northern Illinois down the road from a dairy, and the old dairyman said they were hands down the meanest. I don't think they kept a bull for more than a 60 day breeding cycle.

Meanest cow was a Brahman. A really well bred (so much for breeding!) cow we bought at a dispersal sale. She wasn't mean when the guys loaded her to bring her home, but she'd try to kill me whenever I was in an open pasture where she could reach me. I wasn't sorry to see her go!

The vet had a bull at his clinic one day a few years back. Don't know what they had brought him in for, but when they let him out of the chute to load him into to the trailer, he went into the trailer, straight out over the open top into the bed of the pickup, onto the roof of the pickup, and slid down the windshield onto the hood. Darndest thing you've ever seen! Doc was sweating bullets since the wife's Suburban was next in line. Luckily they were able to pen him back pretty quickly.

It still surprises me how often I see somebody hauling a cow or bull, with head untied, in one of those old-timey open top trailers. They are just asking for an "adventure". We used an open top trailer down on Grandpa's farm 40 or 50 years ago but we always made sure to tie their head down real tight.

All my bulls have been very well behaved, but the meanest bull I've seen was actually at a special bull sale a few years ago. They had a nice looking Brangus all by himself, way in the back of the facility, in a very spacious, high walled pipe & concrete pen. The bull hung out in the middle of the pen and charged with reckless abandon anytime somebody approached the pen. Snot flying, kicking up dust, pawing the ground, bellering and charging up to the pipe walls and butted them real hard. I couldn't believe they had him at the auction. He was the last bull auctioned and the auctioneer just announced to everybody that "this bull just plain don't like any people, so buyer beware". I was surprised to see that he sold for only about $100 less than other nice Brangus bulls that day, all of which were real well behaved. His pedigree was full of Brinks blood and I can only assume that's the reason somebody was willing to take him home.

Arnold Ziffle":14v14fso said:
It still surprises me how often I see somebody hauling a cow or bull, with head untied, in one of those old-timey open top trailers. They are just asking for an "adventure". We used an open top trailer down on Grandpa's farm 40 or 50 years ago but we always made sure to tie their head down real tight.

All my bulls have been very well behaved, but the meanest bull I've seen was actually at a special bull sale a few years ago. They had a nice looking Brangus all by himself, way in the back of the facility, in a very spacious, high walled pipe & concrete pen. The bull hung out in the middle of the pen and charged with reckless abandon anytime somebody approached the pen. Snot flying, kicking up dust, pawing the ground, bellering and charging up to the pipe walls and butted them real hard. I couldn't believe they had him at the auction. He was the last bull auctioned and the auctioneer just announced to everybody that "this bull just plain don't like any people, so buyer beware". I was surprised to see that he sold for only about $100 less than other nice Brangus bulls that day, all of which were real well behaved. His pedigree was full of Brinks blood and I can only assume that's the reason somebody was willing to take him home.

Was he a mature herd bull or a just a young sale bull?

oh sorry, i thought the question was about bulls we have actually dealt with. the meanest ive seen was a brahman cross with who knows what. the meanest i've heard about was a jersey.

From a previous thread

Wewild":21x7bqvc said:
Grandad put Brahmans on commercial cows in the early 70's. One (brindle) tore out at roundup and grew off. Same one crushed in the drivers door and other parts of his 69 Ford truck more than once while he was checking the cows. Us kids were told to stay out of the pasture. Grandad had him shot and processed. Steaks weren't fit to eat. He went back to Angus bulls.

AZ

He also put iron pipe across his open top after one almost came out.

I know this is hard to believe I had a Hereford that would fight the tractor or four wheeler every time a cow was in season.
Went through several fences and whipped the neighbors Brangus real good.
He got some good calves never could keep him penned after that, so he had to take a ride.

Cope, as I recall he was a little over 3 years old. Almost all of the bulls sold were the typical 18 to 24 month old virgin types, but this particular beast had a breeding season under his belt.

Without a doubt, the meanest bull we ever had was a limi.He would have killed my dad and brother.If the truck had not been close.The bull pretty much totalled the truck off.

We have had a few nasty limi cross cows as well. with nicknames such as mayhem , carnage, destruction :lol:

Sorry Caustic. Meanest beef had to be some of the early french charlais (can't sp). No offense anyone.

Angus Guy":2r9h7czr said:
Sorry Caustic. Meanest beef had to be some of the early french charlais (can't sp). No offense anyone.

Char was number 2 on my list as well, cousin has some Char bulls couple of counties over, I guess those heads are just took big for those nuerons to fire right.

Not including dairy bulls I have only worked with angus and lim. Angus was very docile and Ive never had any trouble from the lims, then again, ive taken no chances either.

I use to rodeo and worked for rodeo stock contractors. Most of those bulls are better to handle than a person would expect. Actually they are better as a group than Jersey bulls are. But the meanest was a brammer out of the Louisiana swamps that the contractor bought as a fighting bull. That bull would flat out try to kill you 24/7. He was always bad, not just in the areana when he was riled up. The only way to handle him was on horse back with a couple of good dogs. When rodeo season finally got over and the stock contractor turned him out at home he didn't last long. The guy figured out that you couldn't be around him without risking your life everyday so he shipped him to the packer.
Had a rodeo bull (some type of high horned brahman cross) get out one time that totalled a cop car. We ended up chasing him about 15 miles with a combination of horse back and pickups before we finally were able to keep him caught long enough to load. He came close to killing a couple of us several time before that day was done. We sure wished that the cop had shot him before that day was done.
Dave

Since we are doing beef now, I would go with Limi. Had one put me out of the pen, broke through the pen, and then put two women up on a hay baler.

I guess I have been real fortunate. I have had bulls that were jumpers or black bulls that would push against a fence until it broke and some bulls that would go as far as needed to fight another bull but I have had limousins and charlois, black angus, white parks, hereford, and a couple of chianinas that threw the worst kicking calves I have ever had, but I have never had a beef bull attempt to injure me, hope my luck holds

Latest posts