Maybe I'm the Only Idiot, but Just in Case

Help Support CattleToday:

msscamp

Reaction score
I found out something rather interesting today - and not in a good way, either. How many of you knew it was possible for someone to move a 3X3X8 bale of hay that outweighs you by 4 times plus, simply by grabbing a string to help you shinny up the bale? I didn't, until today. I was tarping a stack of said bales - 3 deep, 4 high on the back, 3 high on the next stack, and 1 high in front - alone today, because there is rain forcasted for tomorrow and Dad was hauling a load to Colorado, and so was unavailable. Climbed up on the first bale, jammed my foot between the 2 bales on the next stack and grabbed a string on the top bale of the stack to climb it, felt it shift forward, thought "Oh, ****!", kicked it into overdrive and was on top of that bale in a heartbeat! I didn't come down until everything was done that needed to be done on top, either. Spent the rest of the day wondering if it was my imagination or if the bale really shifted, asked Dad when he got home, and found out it can happen. I had been taken to task a bit earlier for 'taking it upon myself' to tarp this stack of hay by myself - which I really didn't understand, since Dad wanted the stack tarped. After our conversation about the bale shifting, I understood a little better. I had never even given a thought to the remote possibility that it could happen, the bale was flush with the one under it, it was square, not a bit off center or out of whack in any way, shape, or form. It gave me a whole new perspective on how people get hurt/killed because they didn't think things through. Please be careful. I know I have a whole new perspective on farm safety, and I will be looking at things I always viewed as safe a bit differently from here on out! ;-) :shock:

I am not familiar with those size bales but it is all about leverage. I can roll a 1500 round bale by myself sometimes. I can tip them too but, if it ever gets on top of me I am in deep dodo.

flaboy":2g8jstkw said:
I am not familiar with those size bales but it is all about leverage. I can roll a 1500 round bale by myself sometimes. I can tip them too but, if it ever gets on top of me I am in deep dodo.

Yes, I have had that thought. We used to take a roll out on the back of the truck and push it off. My son ran right under there once and I had terrible visions of what might have happened. He was about 9 at the time.

yes if your in the right position.you can move or shift a big square or round bale.and yes climbing a stack of hay.will cause the hay to shift if your holding on to the bale as you climb.you never tarp hay down by yourself b/c it can shift.

Glad you're OK.

There are two situations I've learned to watch out for and think twice about:

Trying something for the first time that I've seen others do with ease. "Looks easy enough."

Doing something that might be dangerous but that I've done many times. "Don't worry, I've done this a million times."

It only takes a split second for something that looks easy or something you've done many times to turn into an ugly situation.

Glad you are OK. Are we going to have to start calling you Jane? What did Tarzan think of your boldness? :lol:

You are lucky. :shock:
Husband had a small square get blown off the top of the stack and land right on his head. Knocked him out cold and gave him a slight concusion. Lucky it didn't break his neck.
Anything with enough force will move.

m:camp...glad to hear you are OK. Could have been nasty. You take care and get help when needed, some things look like one man jobs, but two or three are always best....be careful out there....Chris

I luv herefords, you are absolutely right - I'm very lucky. I'm also very glad I grabbed the nearest string, rather than a back string. Flaboy, I now know it is all about leverage. I made sure the bale was flush on all sides with the bale underneath it, thinking that would make a difference, but that doesn't make one whit of difference. Bigbull, I don't think I will ever forget that one does not tarp a stack of hay alone. ;-) Jo, 'Tarzan' was not real happy - and I still have the teethmarks in my rear to prove it. :lol: :lol: VanC, this definitely comes under the second one - I've helped Dad tarp many, many stacks before. I just never understood why I was helping him until Monday. Thanks to everyone for your concern, and I have a whole new appreciation for farm safety that I'm not likely to forget anytime soon.

Kinda on the same note but w/ machinery involved, neighbor was feeding a round bale about 200 yards from the barn (phone), open cab older deer, anyways had it up really high for some reason I am not sure, came back on him (6 high 4 wide round grass hay) busted his neck, so he CRAWLED to the barn (phone) called 911 and less then a year later is back to normal with NO defects, you want to talk about lucky...... :?: :?: :shock: ;-)

BlackBaldy - I'm very glad to hear that his Guardian Angel was working overtime, too! :D

Amazing how slippery hay can be at the wrong moment...or how it can seem stuck together when you need to move it.
I admire your industry, we use small squares, too darn old and broken to handle the big ones or to frugle to spring for the equipment.

Glad that all happened was a quick jump start...enjoy your posts too much. As we become more seasoned travelers on life's highway most of us learn to take tasks more serious and behave accordingly. Be carefull down there...OK?

Others still climb a mountanious pile of used tires at a recycler to locate that 12.4X28 that you are to cheep to spring for new.
It is at the shop being mounted and filled. But I did climb carefully. Dave Mc

Susie David":3oir567r said:
Others still climb a mountanious pile of used tires at a recycler to locate that 12.4X28 that you are to cheep to spring for new.

:shock: Dave, it sounds like I'm not the only one who needs to be a bit more careful. Please keep yourself in one piece - I enjoy your posts, too. ;-) :)

Susie David":2hs0wsnb said:
Amazing how slippery hay can be at the wrong moment...or how it can seem stuck together when you need to move it.
I admire your industry, we use small squares, too darn old and broken to handle the big ones or to frugle to spring for the equipment.

Glad that all happened was a quick jump start...enjoy your posts too much. As we become more seasoned travelers on life's highway most of us learn to take tasks more serious and behave accordingly. Be carefull down there...OK?

I do the same, but my search is always for a 15 x 28. That is a size that is impossible to find here new or used. Still have an old Landini R8000 that uses them and I always seem to have one tyre too good to dump

Latest posts