May lose peewee

Help Support CattleToday:

MurraysMutts

Reaction score
So my lil dinky steer I thought we lost, is not doing well. He has always been a poor do-er. From a young age, he tended to always have his head down, droopy if u will. Always ate well. Got around good. Always small. Hes 8 months or so now and probly weighs 300. Vet gave him something when we weaned him, after I told him all this. What, idk. I'll assume an antibiotic of some sort. He was banded as well. He actually seemed to get worse from that time. I chalked it up to the banding. They always seem to mope a bit afterwards.
But hes just never grown well. And now that hes home, wouldnt sell anyway, I have him penned with hay and feed and water. This morning he just cannot get up. He tries, bless his lil heart. I took his feed to him and he gobbled it up while laying down. I helped him up and right back down he went. Several times. It's like he has no strength in his rear legs. Fronts seem to work well tho. O! Hes been walking poorly in the rear for quite some time. Since weaning/banding. Like he has a swivel in the middle if that helps.

I just hate to give up on em ya know??
When do ya say when?
I just cannot know if this is the start of the downhill spiral or if he just needs rest.
Should I just cut my losses and do what I must?
Give him some more time?
My only plan for him was hamburger. He really wouldnt be good for much else. Just a sad morning...

Sorry to hear that. Its hard when you've worked with one so long, and it's a tough call
To make sometimes. If he is alert and
Eating and drinking and doesn't seem
To be in pain I would give him some more time. He needs to get up and down periodically if you can work with him, or at least rotate which side
He lays on. If he's down for long, he will have nerve damage and not be able to get back up.

Just going from the sound of it, I"d put him down, but I'm sure you have the better point of view for that judgement.. See how he does over the next day or two I suppose

I'd say give him another day or 2 and go from there. If you have a lot of extra time on your hands and you don't mind pouring a lot of feed, possibly money into him. Keep him around as long as you like, as long as he isn't suffering.

This is the hardest part - WHEN. As long as they have the will, I keep trying. When they go off feed, grind their teeth (pain/suffering) or become depressed it's time.

Sorry about Peewee. Maybe he'll take a turn for the better. But with the legs it sounds almost like a spinal issue. A shot of Vitamin B Complex for energy wouldn't hurt.

If you can rig up a sling and have a jib, lift him for a bit each day or few times.....if not able to get up after 3 days, maybe time to look at options....

Do you think he may have a mineral deficiency?

PS banding has never worried any of my cattle nor sheep, last calf I did was about 250-300.

I think TC might be on the money there. I agree, my thoughts were of a spinal problem from your description. Almost sounds like the back legs are not following the front legs, communication between the two is lacking. Has he been tested for being persistently infected for BVD?

Ken

Years ago we used some different breeds. We had one like this. The same thought process went into the deal: save for the freezer. Got to 300 pounds and never kept going. Got down and that was the end. I do not know if it was the AI bull, the breed or just an occurrence but we dropped our fascination with that breed due to that and other issues and never looked back.

wbvs58 said:
I think TC might be on the money there. I agree, my thoughts were of a spinal problem from your description. Almost sounds like the back legs are not following the front legs, communication between the two is lacking. Has he been tested for being persistently infected for BVD?

Ken

That sounds like an accurate description.
He has not. I dont have any history as this was a bought bred heifer. His half brother, that mama bought as a group, her calf seems to be doing well. A lil small, but seems to be doing great!
I'll keep on for a couple days yet.
Thank you all for the thoughts. It helps a bunch

So this morning he still tries so hard to get up.
Drank 2 gallon of water. And is wolfing down cubes as I type. I'll move some hay towards him. His nose is all white snotty tho.

I would load him up with a Vitamin A&D shot, a BoSe or MuSe shot, a Vitamin B shot, and some Dexamethasone. Won't cost but a few bucks and definitely won't hurt him even if it doesn't help him.

No cough. Eats like a pig as long as I bring it to him.
Drinks well.

Thanks for the suggestions. Would my local farm store have that stuff on hand?
Like atwoods or tractor supply?

Has he been wormed recently? If not sometimes worms can get them down. Would be worth a try if not already wormed.

jltrent said:
Has he been wormed recently? If not sometimes worms can get them down. Would be worth a try if not already wormed.

Yepper. Worked em all at weaning b4 turning out on wheat. Hopefully he turns around for the new owner. They have plenty of time to fool with him. They plan to pour the feed to him and make boogers