Gonna Lose a Bull

Help Support CattleToday:

Well this is good news. I'm wondering if it was feed related now. He might be allergic to something in your hot feed rations?

That's a rough ordeal. Glad he's turning the corner.

Allergic reaction doesn't fit with the history. Impacted foreign material secondary to trauma sure might- as suggested plausible. Foreign stuff is very inflammatory and won't just go away with antibiotic treatment- so it fits with the severe swelling and the appearance of failure to respond to antibiotic therapy. If a tiny splinter can reek havoc on a finger, think what a ball of feed would do. Most things besides ruminants would just lay down and die when that kind of situation occurs.:

Hadn't heard of the rattle snake deal before, but it's another good reason to hate them. But that would have resolved much sooner.

Embolism would be in the lungs (jugular flows to right side of heart that pumps to lungs- symptoms were in neck/facial area) and not consistent with the history. The audible breathing from all provided was likely due to disturbance of air flow in upper airway- not lower.

That's my $0.02 which my be an accurate worth in today's overly inflated prices, but probably still not.

Somebody asked about invasiveness, need to remember this isn't a human being. We don't breed humans. These are production animals that need to pass on positive traits for production. A herd full of cattle that can't live at altitude, when you raise cattle at altitude becomes a big deal in a hurry. Only one way to accurately measure pulmonary vascular pressure at the moment. Remember that's different than peripheral/systemic.

Commercialfarmer said:
That's a rough ordeal. Glad he's turning the corner.

Allergic reaction doesn't fit with the history. Impacted foreign material secondary to trauma sure might- as suggested plausible. Foreign stuff is very inflammatory and won't just go away with antibiotic treatment- so it fits with the severe swelling and the appearance of failure to respond to antibiotic therapy. If a tiny splinter can reek havoc on a finger, think what a ball of feed would do. Most things besides ruminants would just lay down and die when that kind of situation occurs.:

Hadn't heard of the rattle snake deal before, but it's another good reason to hate them. But that would have resolved much sooner.

Embolism would be in the lungs (jugular flows to right side of heart that pumps to lungs- symptoms were in neck/facial area) and not consistent with the history. The audible breathing from all provided was likely due to disturbance of air flow in upper airway- not lower.

That's my $0.02 which my be an accurate worth in today's overly inflated prices, but probably still not.

Somebody asked about invasiveness, need to remember this isn't a human being. We don't breed humans. These are production animals that need to pass on positive traits for production.
A herd full of cattle that can't live at altitude, when you raise cattle at altitude becomes a big deal in a hurry.
Only one way to accurately measure pulmonary vascular pressure at the moment. Remember that's different than peripheral/systemic.[/
quote]

You hit that nail right on the head. What will tell the tale for him is how he PAP tests next year. I will most likely test him again in the fall. If he has changed more than a point or two he will most likely go to slaughter anyway.

keeping him one more year in your operation will even cost you more, trich, semen test and feed getting him ready. a 24 month old bull should look a little different then a yearling bull you need to get him looking that way. its more then maintaining its also enhancing and growing to the next level.

double v":27tufbqr said:
keeping him one more year in your operation will even cost you more, trich, semen test and feed getting him ready. a 24 month old bull should look a little different then a yearling bull you need to get him looking that way. its more then maintaining its also enhancing and growing to the next level.

Like I said it could easily be a break even deal. The way this year has gone that feels like a win. I still wish I had not broken my ankle. He is the one that was on the trailer to go to you for seedstock plus that day. However that ship sailed when I hit the ground in the corral at 5:30 n the morning.

At the very least I will try to gt some weight back on him and if he doesn't look the part by Oct 1, I can aways pound him out in the fall. If he does I will probably sell him private treaty.

Latest posts