mature johnsongrass analysis

Help Support CattleToday:

pdubdo

Reaction score
Just got my first forage analysis on my 6 ft stands of slightly browned Johnsongrass leaves. Had good rain maybe 2 weeks prior but collected 9/15. Thought someone else might be interested. Crude protein: 12.2% ADF 37.8%, NDF 63.6%. TDN 52.9%. My interpretation-could be worse...so keep grazing! :)

WOW, didn't expect numbers like that for mature JG. I know it's hot (great nutrition) when actively growing before the boot but mature...........

pdubdo":176h07a8 said:
Just got my first forage analysis on my 6 ft stands of slightly browned Johnsongrass leaves. Had good rain maybe 2 weeks prior but collected 9/15. Thought someone else might be interested. Crude protein: 12.2% ADF 37.8%, NDF 63.6%. TDN 52.9%. My interpretation-could be worse...so keep grazing! :)
You use the word "leaves". What about the stems?? Did you sample baled Johnson grass r pulls leaves from growing Johnson Grass. Just curious.

pdubdo":32w713oo said:

Better be careful... you might screw around and make a profit off cattle.... ;-)

TexasBred":2s362z3z said:
pdubdo":2s362z3z said:
You use the word "leaves". What about the stems?? Did you sample baled Johnson grass r pulls leaves from growing Johnson Grass. Just curious.

Good question-I just pulled leaves at about 2-4 ft level as that's what I observed them grazing. I'm gonna check again in November and will do both stems and leaves--at some point this winter I expect them to eat the whole thing.

I recently had my JohnsonGrass hay field tested as I was concerned about Nitrates due to the limited rain we had received. Took core samples of the bales and the results came back:
Nitrates - .16% (<1% safe to feed cattle)
CP - 9.4%
ADF - 36.1%
TDN - 57.0$
NEL - .58 Mcal/lb
Thought this might be of interest...

alpine740":3s5wb1ei said:
I recently had my JohnsonGrass hay field tested as I was concerned about Nitrates due to the limited rain we had received. Took core samples of the bales and the results came back:
CP - 9.4%
ADF - 36.1%
TDN - 57.0$
NEL - .58 Mcal/lb

Number on "As Fed" basis or 100% dry matter??

According to the A&M Forage Report - on a 100% DM basis.
Thoughts regarding the quality of this hay?

alpine740":r5wzrcpk said:
CP - 9.4%
ADF - 36.1%
TDN - 57.0$
NEL - .58 Mcal/lb

What's your average fertilizer application rate, if any? I'm asking as I'm not a heavy fertilizer applier (considering what some folks use) and use Sulphate, not Nitrate, and as a result I don't worry too much about Nitrates in hay. If I get 100# of N per acre per year I'm pushing it.

In this particular case, I used 200#/ac of 32-0-0 (64 units of N/ac). It was the second cutting of the year. Only had one or two rains which is what caused my initial Nitrate concern.
One thing I like about Johnson Grass is it doesn't require extensive Nitrogen.

alpine740":3ajq7q5y said:
According to the A&M Forage Report - on a 100% DM basis.
Thoughts regarding the quality of this hay?
For Johnson grass there is nothing wrong with it at all but since it's on a dry matter basis you need to reduce the numbers by about 15% to reflect actual values with normal moisture level "as fed". Won't need much if any supplementing. Cattle should love it.