Mature Bull Weights

Help Support CattleToday:

farmfowls

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone had any data on the average mature bull weight for Limousins and Salers at 4-5 years of age. I keep coming up with about 2500lbs but that seems a little low. But I could be wrong.

In comparison, Holstein Bulls average at about 2700lbs at 4-5 years so I'm not sure if they should be heavier than beef bulls.

Mature weight can vary greatly based on environment, developmental nutrition and genetics. I have mature Limi bulls that are anywhere from 2000 to 2500 pounds. Some are moderate frame, same are not so moderate. Some developed for the show ring, some not. Some bred to be heavier, some not....

Boot Jack Bulls said:
Mature weight can vary greatly based on environment, developmental nutrition and genetics. I have mature Limi bulls that are anywhere from 2000 to 2500 pounds. Some are moderate frame, same are not so moderate. Some developed for the show ring, some not. Some bred to be heavier, some not....

Would you say that a Limousin bull should be heavier than a Holstein bull at the same age, environment, genetics etc?

Not necessarily. Holsteins are big animals. Most people never see a truly mature Holstein bull, since most dairies use AI. Go to a genex stud for dairy bulls sometime.... Those bulls can get HUGE!

You are comparing apples to oranges here. Think of a dairy steer compared to an average beef steer in a feed lot. When they are finished, most beef steers are only 1200-1400 pounds. A well finished dairy steer can easily be 1600 pounds.

Boot Jack Bulls said:
Not necessarily. Holsteins are big animals. Most people never see a truly mature Holstein bull, since most dairies use AI. Go to a genex stud for dairy bulls sometime.... Those bulls can get HUGE!

You are comparing apples to oranges here. Think of a dairy steer compared to an average beef steer in a feed lot. When they are finished, most beef steers are only 1200-1400 pounds. A well finished dairy steer can easily be 1600 pounds.

But then the price you get for the beef steer would be better than the price you would get for the dairy steer correct? And it would take that dairy steer longer to reach weight?

Like BJ said tons of factors that go into a bulls mature weight. Dairy bulls can get gigantic mostly because of their frame. Biggest Limousin bull I know of currently was right around 2900. Dairy steers typically finish a little later.

Our old vet had seen some mature dairy bulls at 3300lbs years ago. Those were HUGE!
If you look for a breeding bull, it's better to keep in mind your own cows' size and not go overboard just wanting to have a very big bull. If a bull is smaller than 2000lbs, it doesn't mean that his calves won't grow well enough. Had one limo abit over 1800lbs, but he never been overfed and had to work since pretty young age, so he hasn't reached what he would have been able to with a very good feed. His calves can grow really well with a good feed.

Latest posts