mastitis in beef cow

Help Support CattleToday:

Chris H

Reaction score
2 year old cow, heavy milker that was pulling her down so I weaned the calf at 4 months. That was month ago. Cow dried up and started to gain weight. A week ago I noticed she was looking peaked and losing weight. I noticed the right side of her udder was swollen. I gave her a shot of LA200. She's out grazing but her udder is still swollen.

Any advice on better treatment for her?

dun":3bpv2f0i said:
Milk her our and infuse her with intermammory treatment

Will that be a one-time treatment, or will this have to be repeated until the mastitis clears?

Chris H":2j8f8s3a said:
dun":2j8f8s3a said:
Milk her our and infuse her with intermammory treatment

Will that be a one-time treatment, or will this have to be repeated until the mastitis clears?
Depends on the one you use but usually it's a one shot deal although I would check kher again in a couple of days and infuse her again when I did.

One can get ( at least in this area) a long lasting mammary infusion that is used for cows to prevent mastitis while drying up. Believe it is supposed to last like 30 days or something like that. That alone with a long lasting penicillin should clear it up, but there are new products being developed all the time, so I would ask a vet what is available.'
Nite Hawk

If you can get her in a squeeze chute, hand milk the pus out before infusing her. There is a product called Tomorrow Dry Cow mastitis treatment. We have used it with good results. One thing for sure is that you want to keep a close eye on her. It doesn't take much for it to advance and you end up losing a quarter.

Talking to your vet is a good idea too. Penicillin does not work as well as it used to and you may need a stronger antibiotic. Good luck with her.

Keep an eye on that mastitis,it can go systemic and kill a good cow.I have seen on different dairy farms high producing milk cows with systemic mastitis. They were in pretty rough shape, and it can happen real fast if it is an E.Coli mastitis.
Staphlicocus tends to become chronic and is very difficult to clear up permanantely, and tends to come and go after you think you have it "licked". So definately try to keep on top of it.
Nite Hawk

I had a cow with chronic mastitis and a combination of the Today/Tomorrow infusion products (Today is for lactating cow and tomorrow is for a dry cow; the antibiotic is the same but it comes in a different base depending on whether she is wet or dry) and a systemic injection of antibiotic totally cleared her up. Her condition was excellent after the treatment. I still sold her because her teats were extremely large and the calf had a problem beginning nursing. It would have been a problem at every calving. Since she is dry you would use Tomorrow. The systemic antibiotic could be LA 200 or LA 300. The infusion antibiotic will kill the mastitis organisms but the general antibiotic gives you some added benefit if there are other infections. I was extremely happy with my treatment. As was mentioned above, you need to milk out the udders before injecting the infusion. Be as sterile as possible. As you withdraw the plastic syringe, hold the teat opening closed so the infusion does not leak out and reverse milk the infusion up into her bag. There are instructions that describe this but I found them hard to follow so I hope this helps.

Do what dun said. There are a number of good mastitis tubes on the market. I always preferred one called "Quartermaster". Use to ahve to buy it from the vet tho.

Latest posts