Massachusetts right to repair

Help Support CattleToday:

What is this right to repair? I have never heard of this. In some places do you not have the right to repair what is yours?

Dave
It's about access to the computer programming you need to diagnose and reset or turn components on or off. Some vehicles today have to be told the turn signal bulb has been replaced so it will work again.

What's actually going on is manufacturers have made stuff non repairable and you have to buy a replacement. I'm looking at an occupant detection system that you have to destroy to get into. You can't replace the battery on a smart phone without damaging it in most cases.

What is this right to repair? I have never heard of this. In some places do you not have the right to repair what is yours?
Pretty much so. John Deere for instance. owns the software or hardware or whatever. It's proprietary. Some pretty minor issues can send a machine into limp. And it cannot be fixed without being plugged into John Deere's plug.
You have the right to repair. Just not the right to buy or build the equipment needed to repair........
That's how I understand it.

Pretty much so. John Deere for instance. owns the software or hardware or whatever. It's proprietary. Some pretty minor issues can send a machine into limp. And it cannot be fixed without being plugged into John Deere's plug.
You have the right to repair. Just not the right to buy or build the equipment needed to repair........
That's how I understand it.
That's the reason the older stuff is bringing so much more money now. All the new crap has to be diagnosed by a computer with a proprietary program.. To set the high Idle button on my 98Chevrolet C8500 w/ 3126 Cat engine, this button runs the engine at 1000 RPM or whatever it is programmed at to run the PTO Hydraulic pump. To program it requires the dealership to connect up to Caterpillar ONline. The dealer ship charges $150 to 250 for the service and then Cat charges $250 every time they connect online. So, I have a $500 stick that holds the accelerator where I need it.

What's actually going on is manufacturers have made stuff non repairable and you have to buy a replacement. I'm looking at an occupant detection system that you have to destroy to get into. You can't replace the battery on a smart phone without damaging it in most cases.
If you have some good generic tools, most cell phones you can open... Rossmann does a lot of work on laptops, and you can open them just fine, the problem is that there's ONE chip that goes bad, and Apple has told that chip manufacturer to not sell that $5 chip to anyone else, so your options to repair that laptop are to pillage the chip from another computer, or to send it to apple, where they'll replace the whole board for $1500, and you'll probably lose your data. That chip is also in some funky apple phone/battery case that uses that chip, so people are buying that case for $120, tearing it apart for the chip, and tossing the rest of it in the trash.. very green!

What good is a right if you can't exercise it? Imagine if there were no aftermarket car parts available.. no brake pads, no tires, no oil filters, except through the OEM dealership.. Now imagine if your only option at the dealership was to replace the engine when the spark plugs needed changing because that's all they offer.
It's one thing to require special tools to do a job, heck, look at the array of screwsdrivers and wrenches you need.. standard, metric, torx, phillips, etc, and you'll need specialized equipment as well, maybe a tranny jack, timing light, feeler gauges, but you can get all those things, and with a little skill you're usually able to get the job done

Latest posts