Marketing or bashing

Help Support CattleToday:

Cross-7

Reaction score
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=2452467654781787&id=590393174322587&ref=m_notif&notif_t=feed_comment_reply

Definitely bashing. There is so many lies in what she said I don't know where to even begin. And what exactly is a holistic nutritionist? Is that what you do when you can't get in telemarketing school?

holistic = full, entire, total
nutritionist = a person educated or trained in nutrition.

The use of the title nutritionist is not regulated, unlike that of a licensed dietitian who
also works in the field of nutrition.

There's an old saying...
If you like sausages, it is best not to see them being made.

Cross-7 said:
How do you preserve " meat sticks" without nitrides or nitrates ?

You can't, safely or legally and they are not. They are deceiving through their use of semantics.

In fact, it could be argued their product is less healthy than a commercially made beef stick if you believe nitrates and nitrites are carcinogenic (This is another thing altogether) and their not using encapsulated citric acid which is a known antioxidant. (think blueberries)

But lets assume nitrates/nitrites are carcinogenic and let's forget that your vegetables have more nitrates in them than any processed meat would ever have. Let's just forget all these inconvenient facts and look at this myth. This myth was created by discredited research and lead to the USDA banning the use nitrates and requiring the use of nitrites when making a product such as this. Also the use of nitrites is limited to such small amounts measured in the parts per million and if these limits are exceeded or sodium nitrate is erroneously used then the product cannot be sold and is deemed unfit for human consumption.

If you read their literature they are using nitrate which comes in the form of celery juice. Celery juice is nothing more than water and sodium nitrate - keep in mind sodium nitrate is illegal to use. Additionally, they are using unrefined sea salt which also contains sodium nitrate in various levels depending on source so between these two ingredients you are sure to get a good dosing of sodium nitrate. However, this is completely legal since the USDA does not consider sodium nitrate an additive if it is part of an ingredient which is why the nitrate/ite free bacon you find in stores has been found to contain as much as ten times the allowable limits of both nitrates and nitrites yet it can be labelled as nitrate free. (Makes a lot of sense doesn't it?)

Most everything she says is misleading at best. Playing on peoples' ignorance and feelings. I don't think this is illegal but I do think it unethical. As an advocate of farm to table I think it unethical to bash other sectors of the agricultural community with deceptive marketing which is in my view a lazy person's way of trying to be compensated for one's inadequacies and in the end its stuff like this that leads to more public misinformation and more knee jerk regulations which makes it all the more difficult for small farm to table operations to thrive.

But then again who is she scamming? Unicorn lovers I suspect and this just goes to show PT Barnum was right when he said, "A sucker is born every minute" and if you are dumb enough to pay $3 for a fifty cent snack stick more power to you. This thought does give me some solace but I can't help but wonder the extent of damage they will do to others in the agricultural community by spreading such nonsense.

I was taught you mince meat not your words.

What's going to become of these people who buy into the idea that the average non holistic cattleman fills their troughs with LA200 and buy these holistic super duper meat sticks then figure out they have been fed a load of BS? Do you think they will admit they were wrong and go back to eating normal stuff or carry it to the next level and go vegan and remind everyone every day they are vegan and your choice to eat meat offends them?

Latest posts