Many questions about my 3 1/2 month calf

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

Hi,

I read tons, but have questions that I really need people with horse sense (Cow sense?) to answer. These all pertain to my mini holstein heifer. She is about 120 pounds. She was 50 pounds when i bought her at 5 weeks old.

1) I am weaning her according to what I read in books.(reducing amount, then cutting out one feeding). How often do I further reduce her replacer. How long before i cut out the morning feeding. How much later do I cut out the pm feeding. 2) She is eating free choice Dairy 14 stock feed. She is eating free choice Timothy hay. She also has alfalfa available, but isn't partial to it. She grazes about 30-45 minutes a day in my daughter's pasture (at the end of the day). I live in Northern AZ so it is scrub grass with some natural alfalfa. She does like that alfalfa. She also eats FORBS (thinks she's a goat). Should I stress that she doesn't like alfalfa as much as Timothy Hay? 3) She had an infected umbilicus which required surgery (labor day weekend). The incision split open about a week later and was infected. We did tons of antibiotics, an iv immuno booster, and a bacteria culture. The antibiotics were stopped two weeks ago after the last vet as everything was closed up and healing great (finally). Question: At the rear of the incision toward her udders there is a bulge. The vet told me to sqeeze it and see if pulse came out. It didn't. It is fairly soft and seems larger after she drinks her bottle. It seems to become more pronounced when she has a full belly. Any ideas? The vet said not to worry if pus doesn't come out and we will see him in a few weeks for vaccinations, so i thought I'd ask you all.

My little gal, Corabelle, is the sweetest animal you could know. She is easily being halter broke, loves playing and snuggling (especially ahving under her neck rubbed). She has been a true gift from God. Thanks for your time and input.

[email protected]

When we fed bottles we stopped one feeding entirely then a week or so later cut out the second one. As long as she is eating a good amount of grain and good quality hay she should be able to be weaned anytime. We used to wean bottle calves at 4 wekks, so 3 1/2 months is surely long enough even with the setbacks do to health. We have a heifer with a small herniated navel. It bugs the heck out of me but the vet has checked it and says no big deal. Cows have a layer of fat inside their abdomen and apparently a little of that is poking through. You may be able to push it back up inside and feel the size of the hole. We've wrapped calves with hernias and had more problem from the tape then the calf had with the hernia

dunmovin farms

> Hi,

> I read tons, but have questions
> that I really need people with
> horse sense (Cow sense?) to
> answer. These all pertain to my
> mini holstein heifer. She is about
> 120 pounds. She was 50 pounds when
> i bought her at 5 weeks old.

> 1) I am weaning her according to
> what I read in books.(reducing
> amount, then cutting out one