Managing Fescue in the 21st century

Help Support CattleToday:

Supposedly they have done some tests at the U of MO and they claim that MaxQ is only slightly less drought tolerant them KY31. But I agree that it depends on the percentage that survives. My cows won;t touch OG unless it's in mixed fescue hay, so OG is out of the question for us.
Been told here that cattle will prefer MaxQ and overgraze it.

Sounds odd, but when I move the poliwire each day I like to stand as see what the cows graze and how they do their job. In pastures with spots of clover and clumps of OG, they will grave them first. Stripgrazing is an interesting procedure to watch because the cattle have natural instincts to move as they graze. So it is a graze and step issue, but it is definitely wired in their brains. They also clip the top of fescue on the first and second passes and then some will know to stick their head under the wire and eat choice spots just within tongue's reach. Later the group will come and go to pick up missed tidbits and if you wait too long or do not give them enough they will come back and eat dead leaves, ... All with a dose of pecking order and butting small and more timid animals out of the way when there is plenty for all. You just can't take the cow out of the cow.

Ebenezer":2xk43aes said:
Been told here that cattle will prefer MaxQ and overgraze it.
That was briefly touched on. That's where grazing management comes in. Wouldn;t work in open grazing I don;t think.

pdfangus":738umqwe said:
truth be told....nothing works well in open grazing unless the grazing is unlimited grazing like the wild herds of yore.
But KY31 will hold up better than anything else. I'm the only one around here close that practices any grazing management, every one else just runs them all on open graze.

Latest posts