Managing bag size

Help Support CattleToday:

dcara

Reaction score
Has any one ever tried or had any success trying to manage bag size to prevent mastitis? As I mentioned on the calving board a couple weeks ago I have a 9 yr old RA cow that developed a very large and asymmetrical bag during calving this year. Though it is much better now I've been wondering if there was something I could do to help minimize future problems, besides ship her (which will eventually happen anyway).

I think the problem actually started last year when I weaned her calf at 5 months. That was the 1st time I noticed her bag getting much larger than normal. I was wondering if I could have penned her and reduced her nutrition enough to slow milk production (with out hampering fetus growth) until she self weaned the calf? Like maybe feeding 2% body weight of low quality hay with a little supplement. Not sure how much of a balancing act it would be.

Udder quality without mastitis/disease having an affect is about 99% (maybe more) genetic. If you plan on retaining heifers from this cow breed her to a bull that puts good udders on his daughters. The best udder bull we've used is Basin 79E. We had a cow that as a first calver had an acceptable udder, she had a heifer sired by 79E. The next year her udder blew out and was pretty saggy, as a 4 year old it was so bad that the rear 2 quarters hung almost to her hocks. She raised good calves and never had a problem injuring her udder but it was horrible. She went down the road and we still have that first heifer. She just had her 7th calf and her udder is just as tight and solid as she had as a first calver. It's larger but still tight and symmetrical.

Thanks dun for the info on Basin79E. Her current heifer calf is out of a son of Cheyenne. I guess I'll see if the vet has any ideas on managing her bag during weaning and if there is anything I can do to help the situation next calving season.

Latest posts