Making Money

Help Support CattleToday:

Bigfoot":2l2sei3b said:
I have raised cattle for over 40 years. I have not made much what I call folding money on cattle in that 40 years. My net worth has grown (in the form of land, equipment and cattle).

cant buy groceries with net worth...you aint worth nothing til someone wants to buy you :hide:

dieselbeef":1t34r7we said:
Bigfoot":1t34r7we said:
I have raised cattle for over 40 years. I have not made much what I call folding money on cattle in that 40 years. My net worth has grown (in the form of land, equipment and cattle).

cant buy groceries with net worth...you aint worth nothing til someone wants to buy you :hide:

Assets are nothing but a liability until you liquidate them.

Caustic Burno":1br4ekyd said:
dieselbeef":1br4ekyd said:
Bigfoot":1br4ekyd said:

Assets are nothing but a liability until you liquidate them.

You are correct on the liability, and the older I get, the less I'd like to maintain.

Thank you for your responses! I do want to be rich but I didn't think the cattle was going to be the route, however, I don't want to have a hobby that takes up a bunch of time and doesn't make any money. I have a lot to think about! Thanks again!!

tjmdo":1087bqva said:
I spoke with an extension agent yesterday about buying land and the overall conversation changed to making money.
He was not very positive about the ability to make money in cattle.
Yeah and to rub salt in a wound It kind of sux having to agree an extension agent can be right.

Son of Butch":3krhzswf said:
ddd75":3krhzswf said:
Equity is also a valuable asset that cattle produce.
Retaining cows and paying them off.. thats a lot of money walking around.
BUT the fact is he is just starting out. Bought 5 cows. So he has Zero Equity and the money walking around is on the
wrong side of the balance sheet until the cows pay him back the money they owe him for the money he invested in them.

To say he can make decent coin is right. A single coin... if all goes well.
i started out with 2 cows and a few goats.

I sold my goat herd for 30k and had about 8k into them. I sold my sheep herd for 48k and had about 12k into them. I sold my cattle herd for a 80k profit around the peak. This was just a few years into them.. not some lifetime of work.

I'm sorry you're not making any money on them.

to say nothing of almost everyone on this thread saying the same thing as we are all buried in our cattle operations...

ddd75":3nil8jiv said:
Son of Butch":3nil8jiv said:
ddd75":3nil8jiv said:
Equity is also a valuable asset that cattle produce.
Retaining cows and paying them off.. thats a lot of money walking around.
BUT the fact is he is just starting out. Bought 5 cows. So he has Zero Equity and the money walking around is on the
wrong side of the balance sheet until the cows pay him back the money they owe him for the money he invested in them.

I sold my goat herd for 30k and had about 8k into them. I sold my sheep herd for 48k and had about 12k into them. I sold my cattle herd for a 80k profit around the peak. This was just a few years into them.. not some lifetime of work.

venture to say you had a few more than him...and things are only worth what someone will pay no matter what ya think its worth....maybe yours were great and maybe ya just got lucky. no offense sir..jus saying ive had to give away things I thought were worth a bunch....hardly seems to go the other way

dieselbeef":19dbfs6v said:
ddd75":19dbfs6v said:
Son of Butch":19dbfs6v said:

venture to say you had a few more than him...and things are only worth what someone will pay no matter what ya think its worth....maybe yours were great and maybe ya just got lucky. no offense sir..jus saying ive had to give away things I thought were worth a bunch....hardly seems to go the other way

well I don't have much luck but I think the lady did help me out. I wouldn't of made much if I didn't buy low. That peak came and really jumped the profits.

I've also had to give away things and it does suck, but thats the game.

My cattle don't take all my time, so I can make money in other avenues as well. Thats another great thing about them. They will make you money while your doing something else.

I just rolled 111 bales off 12 acres in 1 cut, so the land here is very rewarding. You can feed a lot of cattle with a small amount of land here. If I had to buy 1000 acres to run 30 head on.. I don't see how it'll ever work out either.

tjmdo":1vt5x9oa said:
Thank you for your responses! I do want to be rich but I didn't think the cattle was going to be the route, however, I don't want to have a hobby that takes up a bunch of time and doesn't make any money. I have a lot to think about! Thanks again!!
If your goal is to maximize income from livestock production, you should not seek land ownership but rather strategic control of the land (leasing). :2cents:

Latest posts