Making "Balancers"

Help Support CattleToday:

BrownCow

Reaction score
I have a question that has most likely been asked but I will ask it anyway. When your goal is to have Balancer calves should you breed Angus cows to a Gelbviegh Bull or Angus bull to Gelbviegh cows? I would think that an Angus bull would be better and produce easier to deliver calves but I am not sure...

Also,has anyone ever used a red angus bull or cow to make a Balancer calf? :banana: :banana:

BC

BrownCow":2e1ro12r said:
I have a question that has most likely been asked but I will ask it anyway. When your goal is to have Balancer calves should you breed Angus cows to a Gelbviegh Bull or Angus bull to Gelbviegh cows? I would think that an Angus bull would be better and produce easier to deliver calves but I am not sure...

Also,has anyone ever used a red angus bull or cow to make a Balancer calf? :banana: :banana:

BC
With proper bull & cow selection it's pretty much a wash as to which way would be better.

It's done all the time. We have one 10 year old cow that is now a Balancer, back when we got her she was just an F1 Red Angus X Gelbvieh heifer. Since with Balancers the percentage of either breed doesn;t matter so I guess her daughters are also Balancers as are her grandaughters

WE HAD BLACK BALDIES (F-1) of years and they were just black baldies.. Now all thes F-1 are being named and people acting like THEY ARE A BREED...

What is up with that????? If they fixed, ( limflex,Balarence, ect.) , like Brangus,Gerts,etc. then I would see it..

Using a F-1 Bulls on mutts cows or even on other F-1's cows looks like a crap shoot...

With that said....I do think a Balarence crossed with a F-1 Black baldie would be a great cross......

BrownCow":1ie7pojh said:

BC

BrownCow,
Check you PM (message) inbox.