What’s best Hereford bull to use when making Baldy’s

Help Support CattleToday:

Best horned hereford bull I've used has been 3027 with ABS. You can still get semen on him, but he won't be the cheapest. All of his calves from Angus cows were polled, except one, but I'm betting there was something in the woodpile down the line somewhere on the Angus cow's lineage. Udders have been great for us. He is in the top 1% for BMI. If I had to knock him for anything, it would probably be his milk. He's a tick wetter than I like. I highly recommend producing F1 baldies out of him.

VaCowman said:
Best horned hereford bull I've used has been 3027 with ABS. You can still get semen on him, but he won't be the cheapest. All of his calves from Angus cows were polled, except one, but I'm betting there was something in the woodpile down the line somewhere on the Angus cow's lineage. Udders have been great for us. He is in the top 1% for BMI. If I had to knock him for anything, it would probably be his milk. He's a tick wetter than I like. I highly recommend producing F1 baldies out of him.

I have heard a lot of good out of 3027. I guess I was under the impression his semen was gone.

Any thoughts on his son 1109? He doesn't score near as highly on teat and udder epds.

I can't say I have any experience with 1109, but I'd say he would be another fine HH candidate. His MCW is significantly higher than his sire, but he does have a little heavier WW epd than 3027. He looks good in his photo. I wouldn't be afraid to use him.

Domino 1107 (3027 son) does have sexed female semen available through ABS. 3027 only has conventional and he is deceased so he won't be making any more. ;)

Caustic Burno said:
Reed enterprises still has semen of the best bloodlines I used. He is not your current magazine cover. Here is some of his progeny.

Nice bull. Who's his sire? And which bloodlines do you recommend. I looked through reed enterprises website and they have a ton of options. Not sure how easily I could get straws up to Canada though.

Latest posts