Bull in the making

Help Support CattleToday:

cowgirl8

Reaction score
Now whether he makes the cut in a few years, who knows.. But, he's outpreforming everyone in this herd. 5 1/2 months. His secret is, he had 2 mothers. One cow confused him in being hers, her calf grew, but he had to be crafty..

Another we kept as a bull. His mother is small but can grow a nice calf, always does. We kept her heifer from last year that has a mirror image of the same face marking that are almost exact...

This one is my fav because of his color so i talked the guys in leaving him a bull. If i had it my way, all our cows would be this color and might eventually be..

MurraysMutts said:
I like ur brangus bull prospect. He looks brangus in the pic anyway.
Hes much straighter across the top than mine.
Mines growing well tho.

We have no brangus but they do look brangus and i guess if you look at the % of what is in them, some might add to brangus.. Anything with ear in our pasture will be simbra mix. 2 of these, first and brindle will be from our red line bull.. red line meaning our red bull. lol...

cowgirl8 said:
This one is my fav because of his color so i talked the guys in leaving him a bull. If i had it my way, all our cows would be this color and might eventually be..

Probably back in the early 90s, we had mostly sims, then came simbras in the mid 90s. The breeder we bought sims from had a bull sale and we bought several of his new simbra bulls. One of them was solid black with a lighter colored mouth like this bull.. This was before everyone changed each breed into black. He was a bull before his time but i dont think anyone ever turned simbras, did they?. He was massive. I called him Mr Mustache because of the lighter marks on his face. I think he's the reason we get these fluffy calves that grow like crazy popping out occasionally in our herds. Only a few older ones will be related to him closely, but out of the right bull, we get these fluffy fellas. Most times they are red, but we do get black and brindle. We have around 4 brindle bulls now, several reds and a couple blacks. I think they all go back to that one black bull we had for just a couple years.

Very nice!
That explains alot.
Not many folks running their own animals back on the herd. E1 buys outside bulls around here.
One of the reasons I'm doing mine the way I am, the bulls seem to know me. They dont get easily stirred up.

I say that, and my charlolais and hereford bull are both outside purchases. Lol
The char came from a friend who raised him, I was around him a bit as he grew. Heck he was basically a weanling when I got him.
My bwf bull was the same way. I cant see spending big bucks on some new generation passing fad of a bull when what I've got will make a suitable calf to sell.

MurraysMutts said:
Very nice!
That explains alot.
Not many folks running their own animals back on the herd. E1 buys outside bulls around here.
One of the reasons I'm doing mine the way I am, the bulls seem to know me. They dont get easily stirred up.

The char came from a friend who raised him, I was around him a bit as he grew. Heck he was basically a weanling when I got him.
My bwf bull was the same way. I cant see spending big bucks on some new generation passing fad of a bull when what I've got will make a suitable calf to sell.
We have 5 herds, it makes it a little easier to use our own bulls. We raise all our replacements too. Do we get some closely related mixes, yeah, but doesnt matter really. We do add some new blood but right now we're heavy on our own bulls. I'd like to get a poll hereford. We've only used a black hereford one season and then he broke his penis. We kept a bull out of him. Bought a reg angus bull to replace another with a problem, only had him one year when he broke his junk too.. really hurts when you spend so much money on a bull to only get to use him one season.. We did get a bull out of him that went out this year on a herd. We dont have a particular breed we like, we have a look we like.. The brindles sell good here as long as they dont have too much ear. Ours look sim/angus, no ear... super heavy... they bring top dollar. I'd love to start a new breed, sim angus body head but dark red/black brindled..

kenny thomas said:
Good looking calves but a brindle brings a little more than 1/2 price here. It's terrible how they steal any off color calves.

I'm a sucker for a pretty lil brindle heifer. Lol
I've got a couple. Good mamas.
Sometimes I buy em even when I dont need em!

(Usually because they cheap!)

MurraysMutts said:
kenny thomas said:
Good looking calves but a brindle brings a little more than 1/2 price here. It's terrible how they steal any off color calves.

I'm a sucker for a pretty lil brindle heifer. Lol
I've got a couple. Good mamas.
Sometimes I buy em even when I dont need em!

(Usually because they cheap!)
They are rare here but I like the cows. Usually grow a good calf.

This is what i want our herd to eventually look like. Wished one of my grandkids were old enough to show a heifer, she'd be flashy..Not your regular brindle..

MurraysMutts said:
Very nice!
That explains alot.

That's a big part of why I am using some of my own bulls as well.. they know me and my rules! I trade bulls back and forth with a friend
https://youtu.be/8JL3DlcI8hM

TennesseeTuxedo said:
Big Boy, Jr.?

Yes.. We've gotten a lot of really good replacements out of him. I like the cross of his daughters with our red line bulls, that almost always make a brindle... We have 3 of the red bulls and one black red line... They are all young so not sure if they produce brindles yet..

cowgirl8 said:
TennesseeTuxedo said:
Big Boy, Jr.?

Yes.. We've gotten a lot of really good replacements out of him. I like the cross of his daughters with our red line bulls, that almost always make a brindle... We have 3 of the red bulls and one black red line... They are all young so not sure if they produce brindles yet..

He really filled out nicely.