Speckle Parks making their appearance.

Help Support CattleToday:

gcreekrch

Reaction score
We bought 27 cows in February supposedly bred for May to Speckle Park bulls. Thankfully the neighbours bulls got most of them and the calves will fit with ours this fall. While they are cute cattle, they are worth less than Herefords in the ring. Glad the cows were cheaper than others equal in quality.7CC4FE7B-C3A8-41E3-8DF9-BEFFD115B670.jpeg
DFE12E37-8A40-4365-9C21-0C7F0923EBBC.jpeg0CA219D6-BEA4-4624-953D-996CDB691589.jpeg

I love the look of the Speckled Park, but when we talked about them to our feeder calf buyer he quietly just shook his head. They would likely get docked pretty bad at the auction barns around here. There are too many small dairies around here and people assume they are dairy Lineback or Randall crosses.

I would think that they would make great projects for kids with some extra space to raise a few interesting looking calves. they certainly are nicely colored calves but I have never raised any to comment on feed lot profitability.

I would think that they would make great projects for kids with some extra space to raise a few interesting looking calves. they certainly are nicely colored calves but I have never raised any to comment on feed lot profitability.
They look like they should do all kinds of good things. However, they are relatively smaller framed and slow maturing.

If you lived closer I would definitely be a buyer. My wife's tried to get me to buy a couple speckle parks. I haven't been able to find any in my part of Ky.

If you lived closer I would definitely be a buyer. My wife's tried to get me to buy a couple speckle parks. I haven't been able to find any in my part of Ky.
I've never seen any around here. Occasionally at the stockyards there will be a White Park, but they never have impressed me much. The Speckled Parks kind of remind me of the blue roans that I used to see ever now and then. Those were always viewed as making good cows, though they would be docked now a days for sure.

Last edited:
What?? The article is about Speckle Park cattle, however, the cattle in the photo appear to be British White cattle.

Speckle park is the fastest growing breed in Australia believe it or not. Ive got a young bull i got as an embryo, he is as wide as a truck and very beefy but short. Temperament is questionable in some herds from what i hear, udders and testicle size need work. The full sister to the bull calf i have sold for $24000!! Prices are out of control, too many people with too much money if you ask me. Their strength is meant to be the great marbling meat but the big tick is the evenness across the breed, every animal throws good similar beef and the butchers love the consistency. I still haven't tried speckle meat but will run my bull over my herd and see what i make of it.

I love the look of the Speckled Park, but when we talked about them to our feeder calf buyer he quietly just shook his head. They would likely get docked pretty bad at the auction barns around here. There are too many small dairies around here and people assume they are dairy Lineback or Randall crosses.
With today's prices you would have to pay the barn to take them here. We all know they are the same color when the hide comes off.
Like it or not color dock is real.

I don't know anything about Speckled Parks and very little about White Park. I don't know if the two are related. Was sitting behind a buyer at a stockyards once when a White Park came in the ring with a black calf. The buyer had them split the calves, and he told the man next to him that that calf was a White Park and and any of them he had seen were bad tempered. It was about 550 lbs and when it came back in the ring it went at one of the ring men. The buyer told the man next to him see that u knew it would be that way. He then bought it at a pretty good dock.

I have a neighbor who uses a White Park over Shorthorn, Hereford and red Angus cows. His herd is pretty much every color of the bovine rainbow. He feeds out to finish, then sells beef direct-to-consumer. For whatever reason, he finds his rainbow herd fits his program. If he was selling at any local barn around here, he'd loose his behind. Red or black sell well, anything with roan, chrome or feather neck will take a significant dock.

Latest posts