Making Bacon

Help Support CattleToday:

I found this on Wikipedia:
Botulinum toxin is denatured at temperatures greater than 80 °C (176 °F)
Proper refrigeration at temperatures below 3 °C (38 °F) retards the growth of Clostridium botulinum. The organism is also susceptible to high salt and low pH levels. The toxin itself is rapidly destroyed by heat, such as in thorough cooking.[33] On the other hand, the spores that produce the toxin are heat-tolerant and will survive boiling water for an extended period of time.[34] Fortunately, ingestion of the spores is safe, except in infants, as the highly oxygenated and highly acidic environment of an adult human digestive system prevents the spores from growing and producing the botulinum toxin.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Botulinum_toxin

Isn't the Wickpedia information contradictory?

CDC writes:
Most patients eventually recover after weeks to months of supportive care.

CDC goes on to say:
For the period 1899-1949, the case-fatality ratio was high at approximately 60%, but since
about 1950, mortality has gradually decreased (Table 2). For the period 1950-1996, the casefatality
ratio was 15.5%. This decline in case-fatality ratio is due primarily to improvements in
supportive and respiratory intensive care and perhaps to the prompt administration of antitoxin.
The case-fatality ratio has generally declined over the years for all (botulism) toxin types.

Last I read the mortlaity is at 10%. So I guess wickpedia has is right in that if you don't mind laying in the intensive care for a few weeks or a few months odds are the life support will keep you alive 90% of the time. So I guess its not "that" lethal afterall. :shock:

Latest posts