Making a Harrow

Help Support CattleToday:

bman4523

Reaction score
Suggestions on making a Harrow to drag over a coastal pasture after seeding annual rye? Figure 50HP tractor. Or what would you suggest for new purchase as opposed to building something?
thnx bman

i've heard of putting several tires together. Or I were going to buy something I would get a 5/8's chain harrow, they make a lighter 1/2 in. harrow that's cheaper but the 5/8 is heavier.

Dad used to take an old box spring mattress and use it for a drag to cover seed. It didnt have material on it just the metal from the springs. We didnt have much money, But it worked.

If possible I'd go with the chain harrow. They are very useful. You could also use a length of chain link fence and construct your own and use tire to weight it down and a piece of heavy tubing to keep on the top. This will suffice but maintenance on it can be a pain in time. Guess it depends on how much you got to do. If I was going to do a good many acres the chain drag is what I'd get cause as long as you don't run the bush hog over it there is no maintnance issues to speak of. But if you like messing with puzzles like the Rubics cube, run mower over a chain drag. :bang: :bang:

Jogeephus":35r6b3jj said:
If possible I'd go with the chain harrow. They are very useful. You could also use a length of chain link fence and construct your own and use tire to weight it down and a piece of heavy tubing to keep on the top. This will suffice but maintenance on it can be a pain in time. Guess it depends on how much you got to do. If I was going to do a good many acres the chain drag is what I'd get cause as long as you don't run the bush hog over it there is no maintnance issues to speak of. But if you like messing with puzzles like the Rubics cube, run mower over a chain drag. :bang: :bang:

This sounds as interesting a puzzle as when a neighbor boy ran thru an electric fence, got about a quarter mile wrapped around the drive shaft of daddy's truck cause he thought he could drive backward and "unwind" it.

Jogeephus":287wrnw7 said:
Or let the grass grow over it. Make sure you mark it with flagging tape :mrgreen:

stopped by a JD dealer and priced a 12' harrow- $1,350 The salesman said it weighed 700lbs. It looks like those tines would really tear up the coastal if drug with the tines pointed in the in the down position. Should I be concerned about that?

We have a flexible harrow that can be used with the tines down or up. It is almost 20 years old and still going strong. It is very handy.

http://www.fhmequipment.net/harrow.htm

We had homemade ones - chain link fence, etc. They didn't last. A good harrow will hold it resale value if you need to get rid of it.

Seen several folks around here who drag a length of old heavy-duty chainlink fencing behind the tractor/seeder to scatter manure piles and smooth out pugmarks; sometimes with a few old car/truck tires on top.

Well, I got 1,000 pounds of TAM 90 planted and put together a drag like brute suggested and it worked fine. The fert spreader the dealer loaded spread the seed at about 50lbs an acre where I was shooting for 25lbs so I have two heavly sowed pastures instead of my targeted four :eek: Now we just need some rain :clap: Ah, the adventure has begun!

Latest posts