Make a wish foundation

Help Support CattleToday:

Jogeephus

Reaction score
Deep South's thread about Hope Outdoors brought a question to my mind and wondered if anyone had any information on whether or not the Make a Wish program has changed its views on hunting. The reason I asked this my youngest boy wanted to do a service project and we built a large deer stand that would be wheelchair accessible and be roomy enough to hold four people. His thoughts were to offer hunts to the children in this program but when we got to the short rows we called Make a Wish and they said they did not think it was appropriate for their kids to hunt and would not be interested but were interested in my sending a donation to their cause. Just last week I noticed a Make a Wish advertisement on the cover of a hunting magazine and thought it odd. Does anyone know if they have they changed their view of hunting now? Not that I would like to have anything to do with them now. Just curious.

Jo I do not think that Make A Wish has changed their stance but there is an organization called Catch A Dream that does take kids hunting and fishing. I don't know if they are affiliated with Make A Wish or not. You may have gotten the two mixed up because I agree that it would be odd for a hunting magazine to support a group that makes such a stand against what their own business is centered on even if the organization does very good deeds.

Nah, I didn't get them mixed up because that is what caught my eye at the counter. Had the fella in fronnt of me bought a few more lottery tickets I'd know for sure. I wish now I had just bought the magazine to read more and if I see it again I'll buy it. But it appeared they were pro-hunting from the ad. Of course you know how ads are but I was sortof wondering if they didn't take a second look at how many people are pro-hunting and their loss of revenue. I'm just really curious. I'll have to find the magazine to investigate cause my needle is now stuck on it. :oops:

Jo all i know is my old flyfishing partner was connected with them somehow and he did a lot of guided fishing for their program. I never heard anything about their views on hunting though.

I've noticed their advertising in hunting magazines recently as well, but I've not heard anything to suggest they've changed policies. They will set up fishing trips, but not hunting trips. This is where "Hunt of a Lifetime" and "Catch a Dream" came from.

Thanks for the feedback. Their ad appeared on the cover of a hog hunting magazine. With the ad and its wording you would have thought they were pro-hunting. I'm going to find the magazine and send the editor a little note as I feel this is about like Diane Feinstein being on the cover of the National Rifleman.

Jogeephus":192859tk said:
.............. as I feel this is about like Diane Feinstein being on the cover of the National Rifleman.
Monthly pub cover pages make excellent short range plinking objects

Jogeephus":2ow6vod8 said:
Deep South's thread about Hope Outdoors brought a question to my mind and wondered if anyone had any information on whether or not the Make a Wish program has changed its views on hunting. The reason I asked this my youngest boy wanted to do a service project and we built a large deer stand that would be wheelchair accessible and be roomy enough to hold four people. His thoughts were to offer hunts to the children in this program but when we got to the short rows we called Make a Wish and they said they did not think it was appropriate for their kids to hunt and would not be interested but were interested in my sending a donation to their cause. Just last week I noticed a Make a Wish advertisement on the cover of a hunting magazine and thought it odd. Does anyone know if they have they changed their view of hunting now? Not that I would like to have anything to do with them now. Just curious.

We have a guy here with a large farm that boarders the game refuge, and he pretty much started his own hunt for the kids. I cant see why it wouldn't work for your son's project. This guy started it years ago when Make a Wish wouldn't support hunting and fishing. He got together with a few of the local gun clubs for some help and with the Division of Wildlife and they make it happen. If your son puts the word out at the local sportsmans clubs, you'll be surprised how fast you'll have a line of help and $$, when the word gets out to the hospitals, Dr's and Nurses, be prepared for a line up of kids.

My son is no longer in a position to help. Make a Wish really left a sour taste in our mouths with their response. Just didn't make sense. Am now doing a few things with the Boys Ranch.

Latest posts