Maintenence Ration for Bulls

Help Support CattleToday:

El_Putzo

Reaction score
For those of you who supplement your bulls in the off season to get them back into shape, I'm looking for a new ration that will promote gaining back the weight the bulls loose during breeding, without making the bulls hyper.

For example: This last set of bulls we bought are pretty easy going and generally do not tear up to much in the pasture with the cows. But with us having a spring and fall calving season, the bulls are home in a small pasture for 2 separate periods of 3 months each. During the "off" season, we generally like to supplement them with about 5-7 lbs of grain each to get them back in shape, problem is, if we feed them the same 14% growing ration that we feed the feeder calves, they get way to much energy and they start tearing things up, like fences, feeders and such. I know bulls will be bulls, but it seems to be much worse when they are on feed. Anyone have a good low energy ration that will help put back on the weight without all the orneryness???

I'm curious of they even need any supplement. Decent feed and them not working should get them back in condition soon enough I would think.

dun

Hay and some protein if needed. Get away from the premixed stuff if you can and supplement with just what is needed.

Just a thought, if they really need more energy you might look at that mix 30 stuff that Dun was talking about a while back. Most of its energy comes from fat which will metabolize slower. I know, I know, I just said stay away from the premixed stuff.

I've got three bulls in the pen beside the house now, they get orchard grass/fescue hay and about 20lbs of 16% stocker heifer pellets per day. (20lbs total, not each.) The pellets have bovatec in them, I use them on the heifers during weaning and to keep the cows tame with a bucket once/week. The bovatec shouldn't have any ill affects on the bulls should it? They are between 1 1/2 and 2 1/2 years old and still have some growing to do, and they are not overconditioned. I don't notice them tearing up anything more than usual, bulls will be bulls. They'd probably tear up the same amount if I didn't give them anything. I think it's more frustration and boredom than anything else.

A hot wire works wonders, why not run one on the inside of your fences and then concrete a railroad tie in the middle of your paddock?

cfpinz

A 1600 lb bull on a maintenance diet needs:

30 lbs of Dry Matter
30 ME (Mcal) of energy in average weather conditions
2.3 total lbs of protein

per day to gain 1.5 lbs per day

Under normal circumstances they probably would have been alright without anything besides grass. The problem is, these bulls are 2 1/2 and 3 1/2 yrs old. The younger bull is still growing and the older bull is probably just leveling off. Also with the drought this summer, the grass they got after being taken away from the cows was in short supply. This caused them to not really start gaining much weight back until later this fall when the grass actually came back a little.

You guys are getting too technical on me, not that I don't have a basic knowledge of the nutritional requirements of a bull. I'm just looking for a recipe basically for a LOW ENERGY ration that some of you may have used in the past that will help gain weight without giving an excess amount of energy. Seems like I have heard somewhere that either cottonseed hulls or soyhull pellets was a good ingredient for this type of mixture. Any thoughts or experiences?

We have 12 mature bulls at present and don't feed them anything special, They are out now grazing the hayfields with cows, we'll move them to a smaller lot just before calving starts and then back with the cows for breeding. When the cows and calves go back to summer pasture in the mountains, the bulls go back to the smaller lot - about 30 acres I'd guess. We don't grain them at all - just grass and hay if they need it and mineral salt & water. I have 2 yearling bulls also and they'll get the same treatment - minus the breeding part!

I limit feed mine real leafy third crop hay. The stuff is highly digestable and they eat it like candy. The only time I might give them some corn is if it gets real cold to boost their energy. It is tough with younger bulls. I've got the same probelms at times. Have you ever looked into feed them some rough hay and put a protien tub. They will only eat what they need with those tubs plus get all their minerals. I our area the Tubs have not risen with the Corn....yet!!

Latest posts