Mad Cow Ignorance

Help Support CattleToday:

Goodlife

Reaction score
I don't know if you have seen the news, but a Dairy Cow in CA has been diagnosed with Mad Cow Disease (bovine spongiform encephalopathy (BSE)). Below is a quote from the centers for disease control.

The Centers for Disease Control reports that the chance of contracting mad cow disease, even after consuming contaminated products, is less than one in 10 billion, if at all. California Department of Public Health Director and Public Health Officer Dr. Ron Chapman issued a statement today saying that residents do not need to take any specific precautions.

Now here is a poll conducted by CNN-Money with the responses. I just thought it was interesting so decided to share. This will probably be big on the news and people will start avoiding beef. I just hope it does not get so crazy other countries place a moratorium on US Beef based on 4 cases in one state.

Do reports of mad cow disease make you cut back on beef consumption?
Not at all 33.62% (696 votes)

I'll still eat it, but source more carefully 19.57% (405 votes)

I may hold back for a while 16.62% (344 votes)

I'm considering cutting out beef all together 14.25% (295 votes)

I don't eat beef 14.54% (301 votes)

Other (please share below) 1.4% (29 votes)

Total Votes: 2,070

According to The Wall Street Journal, they reported that the affected cow didn't get into the food chain (because of testing), and there is no anticipation that this one animal will have an affect on beef exports. Apparently this is the first one found since 2006. It was a "dairy cow" in California.....according to their report (a very brief one).

I'm just hoping (foolishly) that there won't be a plethora of ninnys to 'tag' this onto the "pink slime" debacle.

You had to know that something would "come up" being that prices for feeders, culls etc are up....still. Resulting in higher prices at the grocery store.

Here's a 'conspiricy' thought......"pink slime" and "mad cow" should reduce the demand thus reduce the price that consumers pay thus reduce the price we get blah, blah, blah. ;-)

Katherine

At the same time to blindly blow off the recent discovery of bse in this country is foolish.
It's in everyone's best interest to continue to be vigilant without over reacting to this news.

hooknline":2jcfbd6h said:
At the same time to blindly blow off the recent discovery of bse in this country is foolish.
It's in everyone's best interest to continue to be vigilant without over reacting to this news.

Agreed.

I'm curious to know how old this cow was and how it contracted BSE.

Katherine

Bse can occur spontaneously. But that's not to say it wasnt contracted through Prion exposure.

I think it's Bush's fault, after all he lives in Tx. Just when you think your doing good this pops up. Hopefully this is a isolated case.
Maybe the dogooder's had something to do with it. Eco terrorists could be behind this. It happened in Ca. you never know.

Workinonit Farm":1wvbuch3 said:
According to The Wall Street Journal, they reported that the affected cow didn't get into the food chain (because of testing), and there is no anticipation that this one animal will have an affect on beef exports. Apparently this is the first one found since 2006. It was a "dairy cow" in California.....according to their report (a very brief one).

I'm just hoping (foolishly) that there won't be a plethora of ninnys to 'tag' this onto the "pink slime" debacle.

You had to know that something would "come up" being that prices for feeders, culls etc are up....still. Resulting in higher prices at the grocery store.

Here's a 'conspiricy' thought......"pink slime" and "mad cow" should reduce the demand thus reduce the price that consumers pay thus reduce the price we get blah, blah, blah. ;-)

Katherine
You hit the nail dead on. Been looking for something to break the market. "Pink slime" didn't do it. CME Live cattle (fat cattle) closed down the limit today. I believe it will eventually blow over, but not before those owning feedlot cattle ready to sale are hurt.

A few weeks ago someone asked how high the market would go. I think this question has now been answered.

Anyone know where Zimmerman is? If we could leak this to the press then the Mad Cow will be forgotten. :mrgreen:

The cow was over 30 months old when it died at the dairy. Cow was tagged for testing and was at a rendering plant in Hanford when it was discovered she had BSE. Vet said it could have just been a random mutation as it can happen in all animals (random mutations).

I could be wrong, but as I recall S Korea was one of the last countries to allow back in after the last positive in the US. I think the people on the street (may have been Japan) wanted US beef back but the bureaucrats along with a few protestors kept it out much longer than other countries.

I heard on the news this morning that Japan is not going to curtail imports of beef. So that is good.

I do have a cousin whose husband is with the state vets office in California. Had he just called me with this news on Monday, I could have shorted the market, and retired by next Monday..... There will be a lot of money made or lost by the trader in the next couple weeks but I don't look for it to have a long term affect on the market.

Latest posts