M F roses

Help Support CattleToday:

hillbilly beef man

Reaction score
What does everyone use for multi floral rose control? I have used crossbow for a while and wondering if anything else is cheaper. Grazonnext Hl would be cheaper per acre but I have never used it. I can get it for $63 a gallon and they recommend a quart to an acre.

Why would you spray them. They build character and test your ability and resolve to repair the hole in your fence. In all seriousness I wish I could help but honestly didn't think you could spray them with anything this side of Agent Orange and kill it. Beautiful when it blooms but some nasty stuff to work around. If you can keep the cows from using the hole in the fence till it fills in it does make a nice patch though.

I would not care as much if they were just in the fence row, but they have taken over a two acre block that I logged and cleared a couple of years ago. As hard as it was to clear I do not want to lose this land to M F roses.

Remedy will work. If you don;t mind having to spray a couple of times ayear to get totally rid of them Roundup will do it.

2-4-D will get them as well as remedy.
The trick here is to mix it exactly right and spray timing is everything here. Through photosynthesis the plant takes
it to the root and kills the entire plant. The plant should also be left standing until
next year to get a complete kill so it goes through a complete cycle moving the chemical throughout
all the root structure.
Grazon is a great product for certain applications no where around my pasture that is for dam sure.

I have about 20 smaller ones in a 15 acre spot. We bought some crossbow. Will it kill? Spray at roots or on limbs? Can i trim it back and then spray it?

Early in the season, I sprayed using a mix of Cimmron and remedy, along with a surfactant. Killed all the MF rose we hit! Small and big. We used about 50 gallons total...

machslammer":31bmb1o1 said:
I have about 20 smaller ones in a 15 acre spot. We bought some crossbow. Will it kill? Spray at roots or on limbs? Can i trim it back and then spray it?

Spray it on the leaves. You will get the best kill when it is blooming.

So now! Lol. Ours been blooming for about 2 weeks now. So it absorbs it through the leaves and down through the plant itself? Right about citing them back to about 2 foot high then spraying it. Some of mine about 5 feet tall and spread out so far cows leave a big spot of grass around and under it

machslammer":jwgwh78v said:
So now! Lol. Ours been blooming for about 2 weeks now. So it absorbs it through the leaves and down through the plant itself? Right about citing them back to about 2 foot high then spraying it. Some of mine about 5 feet tall and spread out so far cows leave a big spot of grass around and under it
If you cut them back you will need to wait a coupleof weeks before spraying them so that they get into the growing mode again.

With the really big MFs I will sometimes throw a chain aorund the bottom and just jerk them out. Leaves a bit of a hole and also some root. When it gets growing well next year spray the snot out of it. In the long run it makes less of a mess to deal with.

According to U of WI, best to just keep mowing them and they'll poop out. Just having cattle out there grazing seems to prevent new plants from getting established.

Latest posts