Lunar weaning time coming up?

Help Support CattleToday:

angus9259

Reaction score
Anyone know if there's a preferred weaning time coming up in the next week or so? Can't figure out how to track that down in the farmer's almanac. Thanks.

Sorry Angus...never heard of such but did some googling and found this:

Listed below is information regarding cattle:
1. Neuter calves when sign is in Capicorn (knee) or Pisces (feet) and in the healing moon which is New Moon thru First Quarter but never in the sign of Scorpio, Leo or Cancer.

2. Wean calves when sign is Capricorn going towards Pisces to lesson stress on cow and calf. 3. Brand cattle in the New Moon as brand will almost double in size. If branding is in Full Moon the brand size may shrink making it hard to read.

4. Butcher in New Moon thru First Quarter and meat will not shrink as much in cooking.

Angus Cowman":2s4fnat6 said:
almanac says Aug 21 thru the 27th for weaning

That's the time frame I'm using to pull a few. Funny, I'd just looked that up before coming on the site.

fitz

I'm going to try it . . . though it all sounds like cattlemen's witchcraft to me.

cjk":22iw8stl said:
Wow Texas, are those international tips?

Nope..."universal". Now you just gotta study your astrological charts. When you figure it out call me and explain it.

TexasBred said:
Sorry Angus...never heard of such but did some googling and found this:

Listed below is information regarding cattle:
1. Neuter calves when sign is in Capicorn (knee) or Pisces (feet) and in the healing moon which is New Moon thru First Quarter but never in the sign of Scorpio, Leo or Cancer.
quote]

My Grandpa lived by this. We always worked the calves when the blood was in the feet. They bled very little.

3 way my dad did also. Wouldn't think of cutting calves until he checked the signs in the almanac. Seemed to work for him but I've never done it.

What convinced me was several yrs ago when I worked for a vet and we backgrounded calves we cut them everyday of the week and sometimes the would bleed like a stuck hog and other times your hands wouldn't even get bloody and the vet and I were discussing it and she said the signs must be right when they weren't bleeding so we checked the almanac and it was the time to castrate
I also noticed that if the signs were right on weaning the calves we got in bunk broke alot easier and went to eating instead of bawling for 2 or 3 days also had alot less health problems because they didn't seem to stress as bad
Dad always said to castrate when the signs were in the legs and going down

I used to think my old man was nuts when he planted "by the signs" from the Farmer's Almanac, but hey.

I want to wean little Xavier around October 1st, when he will be six months old. When do those dates look good, and do you have a link somewhere so we don't keep pestering you guys for our latest astrology reading?

My sun sign is Scorpio if that makes a difference. :)

Latest posts