Low Sulfur ?

Help Support CattleToday:

Stocker Steve

Reaction score
I have cut way back on sulfate fertilizer and focused on more legumes. Now I am seeing low sulfur results in both soil tests and tissue tests. Have you applied elemental sulfur, and did it pay off?

It seems that since the country went to low sulphur fuels I've noticed more that sulphur is included in all of our fertilizer mixes. Very small quantities but the soil tests all call for it.

Before retiring I did several hundred soil tests a year. The vast majority were low on sulfur. Sulfur will leach out of the soil so rain or irrigation will help it leave. It doesn't take a lot of sulfur to keep levels up but it is pretty easy to drop below desired levels.

If I want my grass to be green, I must add sulfur (per sample results, of course). Fifty years ago, before the coal burning generating plants were cleaned up, we never needed it. Now, the technology exists to make those coal burners clean. Yes, I am old.

Dave":c1ai4lmc said:
Before retiring I did several hundred soil tests a year. The vast majority were low on sulfur. Sulfur will leach out of the soil so rain or irrigation will help it leave. It doesn't take a lot of sulfur to keep levels up but it is pretty easy to drop below desired levels.

Standard recommendation here is 25#/acre "trial". How about out west?

Stocker Steve":2b4obhvp said:
Dave":2b4obhvp said:

Probably a little less than that..... Although that 25# is not out of reason. I always wanted to see 12 to 20 ppm in the soil test and I would prefer it to be closer to the 20.

TennesseeTuxedo":1hzddby2 said:
Sir Loin?

Was is ddg that was high in sulfur ?
Could just feed it to the cows and have them distribute the sulfur :dunce:

dun":qqdtykhf said:
Cross-7":qqdtykhf said:
TennesseeTuxedo":qqdtykhf said:
Sir Loin?

I thought ddg caused polio
and red saddles, and probably a whole host of other problems, like jihadi terrorist, and split personalities.

Unless I go to the bulk distribution plant, anything I buy is Ammonium Sulphate and it runs 22% for 33-0-0. I like that as I have become a sulphur necessity fan. I'm convinced it's good for grass and animals. I guess I didn't realize what you guys said about cleaning up the air was abusive to plants which convert the abusives to oxygen and thrive in the process.....course Acid Rain was a bit too much. Didn't realize that it has become a necessity for me and why.

Dave":1758qxk6 said:
Stocker Steve":1758qxk6 said:

Probably a little less than that..... Although that 25# is not out of reason. I always wanted to see 12 to 20 ppm in the soil test and I would prefer it to be closer to the 20.

I tried to understand "trial". It sounds like S results will vary depending on your clay type and other fertility factors... :?

I am going to dig into beet lime (sugar processing byproduct) again. It is supposed to contain a lot of sulfur.

Texasmark":3rsen6bb said:
I didn't realize what you guys said about cleaning up the air was abusive to plants which convert the abusives to oxygen and thrive in the process.....course Acid Rain was a bit too much. Didn't realize that it has become a necessity for me and why.

Prince wrote a song about this.

Stocker Steve":1tao4alx said:
Texasmark":1tao4alx said:
I didn't realize what you guys said about cleaning up the air was abusive to plants which convert the abusives to oxygen and thrive in the process.....course Acid Rain was a bit too much. Didn't realize that it has become a necessity for me and why.

Prince wrote a song about this.

Laughed on this one.

dun":1jeosytt said:
Cross-7":1jeosytt said:
TennesseeTuxedo":1jeosytt said:
Sir Loin?

I thought ddg caused polio
*sigh*.. the number of times I tried to get it through that thick skull that Polioencephalomalacia or PEM for short, is completely, absolutely unrelated to the "polio" that we know of in humans..

Latest posts