Low Forage Supplies

Help Support CattleToday:

MikeC

Reaction score
1/30/2008 9:43:00 AM

Cattle Update: Ruminant Livestock, Facing New Economic Realities Programs Are Set

Certainly, 2007 was a challenge for cattlemen across the Midwest. On top of strengthening feed grain prices which began in the Fall of 2006 and have continued to the present, we've experienced a widespread lack of forage production. In fact, grain and feed prices are as high, and forage inventories as low as they've been anytime in recent history. Most Ohio cattlemen have improvised, in many cases by simply purchasing feed, utilizing alternative feed resources, employing a rigid culling program in their herds, or a combination of all of the above in an effort to get through until spring.

Soil moisture reserves are being adequately restored this winter. This means grass will turn green again in the spring. Yes, forages will grow again. Yet, it's not likely cattlemen or other ruminant livestock producers will experience an abundance of low cost, high quality forage and feedstuffs again for years to come. With so many acres which were traditionally in forages being attracted into row crop production, simply put, the "rules" which dictated that we could consistently "feed a profit" into ruminant livestock have changed. The result is that in the foreseeable future we face new and different economic realities in the livestock industry.

In an effort to remain competitive we need to make management changes. Some as subtle as simply dividing a pasture with one more fence, or as extreme as eliminating round bale feeder rings from the operation. The new reality is that perhaps co-product feeds may become the norm and not the exception. Or, will distillers grains become the primary source of phosphorus for both livestock and as a soil fertility amendment? Could perennial stands of harvested hay, corn grain and bean meal be pushed aside as the staple feed of ruminants? Is it possible that hay acres might be replaced by corn silage production as a lower cost forage option? And, maybe we need to return wheat to the crop rotation, and make annual forages the "traditional" double crop of choice?

A lot of grass won't be green here come spring because there won't be any. Makes me sick to watch some of these guys turn good pasture into a moonscape before they cull down or start feeding.

This is pretty simple -- this way it forces you to match the kind of cattle you raise with your avaailable resources--- no more 1500 lb Beefmaster cows with great milking ability will be needed --- small to moderate framed cows will be the Norm. Bring it on -- some of us are already there.
Good Luck

novatech":1wvh96l1 said:
or as extreme as eliminating round bale feeder rings from the operation

:???: I can't figure that part out. Can somebody explain?

Unrollers seem to be more efficient for large herds, possibly even tub grinders. I still use rings for my small herd, but would like to switch over to small squares. With the small squares, I can portion out hay better and have less waste. A roll setting out getting rained on, snowed on, etc. wastes a lot of hay.

I think what their referring to, is the round bales in many cases being the all the cows can eat method.
And more waste that way. If people limit the feed to just what cows need, a lot of the waste is eliminated.

A lot of hay fields have been plowed up here due to $5 corn. I do not see hay coming down in price for a number of years. We had a drought in 2007 and will have to adjust. I am reducing stocking rates and looking harder at by products. The problem is feed companies and feed lots are contracting for by products and squeezing out the small guy...

rkm":c45ebyiq said:
I never had any luck telling my cows thats all you need today.

I hear ya! I cut mine back too much, they start walking through those barbed wire fences lookin for "greener pastures"!!

Angus you know you wife will let you have all those little "rice cakes" you want.. :lol: :lol: :lol: That's what mine gives me....starve to death with a full belly. :cry2: :cry2:

Latest posts