Low Birth Weight Question

Help Support CattleToday:

Longhorns, Corrientes, dexters, lowlines, jerseys and even yaks have been used as a low BW bulls on the heifers for their first calf but you will lose money by doing it. I've culled few angus cows in their 15-16's and they were never bred to longhorns or Corrientes in their entire lives. If a heifer of any breed cannot have a first calf of same breed, then she should be in the feedlots. There are more low BW bulls in any breeds nowadays, including simmentals and charolais. Why would someone would sacrifice $1,000 to just have a $400-500 calf sired by longhorn or jersey?

cowgirl8":bwat4zku said:
bird dog":bwat4zku said:
My low birth rate angus bull calves out 65lb calves out of 1000 -1200 lb mama's. These are what I want. I don't have the luxury of watching these cows calve or helping out. They are on their own. I have very few problems and I do believe that these cows can deliver some calves that have a bad presentation. I honestly do not see much difference in 85 lb and 65 lbers. If they are on good forage, they all wean out with close to the same daily gain. I will gladly sacrifice 20 lbs of weaning weight for very little calving problems.
Another of my beliefs is that the cows that calve easily also breed back easier. This is worth a lot to me and I have very few culls because of not breeding back on time.
At least someone gets it..... :wave:
We all get it !!!! And what bird dog said may have been what you were "trying" to say but it is not what you said. Sorry cowgirl you're wrong again. I don't think anybody here has 20-30 lb calves so you're completely out of line. But I raised brangus for years...they were big 1500 or more lbs. each and I never had a 90 lb. calf. I also never had a 30 lb. calf.....And you don't have 5 herds. You have one herd separated into 5 groups. And according to previous posts even they mix and mingle occasionally. Read more and post less.

Brand":3fesv25c said:
to this day the buyer still is proud of the great buy he got on those 1100 pound heifers that really weight 800 he never knew the difference

There is a fool born ever minute and a crook around ever Connor
"I am not screwed unless I think I'm screwed". Everybody has paid more for a cow than she was worth a few times regardless of weight and often when dealing with individuals with herds with lots of records. Make a habit of it though and it will catch up with you.

I pick bulls for a daughter's calving ability, not his direct ability.
Have to with using BB crossbreeding.
I still watch direct, but not near as much as maternal.
Have a few little rabbits, but not many monsters either.
Have many moderate lively calves

Latest posts