Lost one today to lightning.

Help Support CattleToday:

Ky hills

Reaction score
Had a storm today was running errands when it hit, got home and commenced to feed. Have some yearling heifers and weaned calves in a lot since yesterday when a neighbors bull got in the field and we separated them from him till we can somehow get him up and out. Went out to feed them and to my surprise our little longhorn heifer wasn't standing watching for me, saw her laying down behind the others which were all standing. I knew something was wrong and as I walked down through the others I could see that she was dead inside of a 3 sided shed. We are sad over her but I've been there before and just thankful more of them weren't killed too. That is the 3rd instance of lightning killing cattle on this place that I can remember.

Sorry to hear that. Neighbor had a couple cows, several big calves, and a bull all get killed under a big live oak from lightning not far off the property line. Some real nice animals. It made me sick thinking about it and they weren't even mine.

call the ext. office.. they have a program to pay you back for cows killed by lightning