Lost fawn

Help Support CattleToday:

Nesikep

Reaction score
Found this little guy wandering around my yard.. finally, well after dusk momma finally showed up.. I was getting worried for the little guy.. How old do you figure it is? couple days?
https://youtu.be/U9CM-EsDVdE

He looks two to three weeks old .
I am starting to see a few up and milling around. With our rut and their gestation period puts the fawns born end of April first of May.

Oh, my heart! What a cutie. We had a twin stuck in some old hog wire in the woods behind the house. Got it loose and I could hear mama snorting but had to snuggle it before I let it go.

so we found out it didn't make it, found it in some grass dead, maybe the momma I saw wasn't his? He wouldn't have been likely to make it anyhow, he was headed to my hayfield I'm going to be cutting as soon as the weather clears up, not a good place for them

Caustic Burno said:
He looks two to three weeks old .
I am starting to see a few up and milling around. With our rut and their gestation period puts the fawns born end of April first of May.
I'd have figured it would be a little steadier on it's legs by that age, and a little more scared of me!

Brute 23 said:
It wasnt lost. They are like baby calves... their momma knowe where she left them. The worse thing you can do is move them or mess with them.

They are every where this time of year. My parents had one in their back yard last week.

I didn't move it, it was out wandering on its own

Brute 23 said:
It wasnt lost. They are like baby calves... their momma knowe where she left them. The worse thing you can do is move them or mess with them.

They are every where this time of year. My parents had one in their back yard last week.

Obviously I "messed" with the one we freed. But it was interesting that mama & her twins stayed around the house for months after that.

We feed them at my parents and the ranch and stuff. I think it's cool. They will walk up to the feeders while we are filling them some time. The put fawns around the housed all the time.

This is prime coyote and bobcat hunting time. The love to get a baby fawn.

I've picked up tons of them in my hayfields when I was lucky enough to stop the mower in time.. they were usually a little bigger, but momma always found them again.. I figure if momma was really scared of us or our scent, they wouldn't have their babies pretty much in our front yard.. Or sleep in our hayshed

Latest posts