lost 73 yo hunter found after 4 days

Help Support CattleToday:

Bama

Reaction score
Hey Ya'll most of these stories don't turn out as this one did I'm still amazed so I thought I'd share it.

As many of Ya''ll know I volunteer with a local rescue squad in this area. There is a rather large national forest near here that claims several lost people a year. Most of them are found in about 24 hours, after about 48 hours they normally dont make it out alive. Anyway I was paged out Saturday about a 73 year old man missing since 8 am the previous day. I get there and learn he has high blood pressure, low blood sugar, a ruptured disk thats is inoperatable, and can't normally walk more than 100 yards at a time. Due to back injury he can't walk up hill and hasn't walked a half of a mile in the last 5 years. He was scouting the area for a hog hunt starting Saturday.He has two bottles of water and carrying a pack of crackers and none of his medication. He is wearing tennis shoes, jeans, and a dark green shirt. His truck was found and scent dogs wern't able to get a direction of his travel. We searched around the truck saturday. Sunday I was asked if I would carry a team down to the flats. This whole area is mountainous with creeks and bluffs everwhere. The flats is a place along one of the creeks that is maybe 200 yards wide with steep mountains to either side. We get to the location and I tell them we are probally not looking for someone on two feet and at best he is probally in a diabetic coma by this time. I send a group of four in one direction and 2 to stay in the general area and my son and I would go the other direction. There are several shooting houses in the area and My son climbed into all of them searching, About a 1/2 mile out we both stopped in our tracks and smelled the foul oder of decomposition. We looked around but couldn't find anything. we left the area and went back to base. When we got there I told them of the smell and that we were a mile and a half from his truck. I thought the smell was probally a hog that someone had shot and left laying as there are so many of the pest but we needed to check it better. There was a dog team that had just pulled in and they ask if we would carry them to the spot. I looked at my son he said lets go. We got to the spot a couple of hours after dark and the dog was picking up the sent till it ran square on with a rattle snake. His handler screamed theres a 8 foot rattlesnake coiled. I normally don't kill them but as many as 300 people were out searching that day and I thought it would be a good idea show some of the less seasoned searchers what one looked like. It was only 4 feet and a couple of inches not quite 8 feet. The dog was done he wouldn't leave the feet of his handler. We could still smell the decomposition but couldn't find nothing. After the snake in the thick brush those folks finally believed me when I told them to watch their step. Anyway we returned to base about midnight with plans af sending a new dog team to the area at first light. I pulled out my snake and they said just put it over there with the other three that had been killed that day. Mine was next to the smallest. All day searching monday and nothing. Tuesday morning after several teams were done in the woods a truck came up with the gentleman. He was dehydrated a little, bug bitten but in otherwise good shape. He had walked out to a road and was spotted by a passing truck. He said he had heard us calling for him but wasn't able to get our attention. He said he walked a little while and get tired and sit a spell them walk some more. He said when it got dark he would sleep and walk a little while the next morning repeating this for 4 days. His water ran out early and the only water he had was from a place the hogs had rooted up that had some standing water. In total he had covered about 3 miles in 4 days but this is a heck of a feat for the shape he was in. I was expecting some hunter to find him in the fall, I had pretty much given up on him. We had over 300 searchers on foot and horseback each day for 4 days but couldn't find anything.Yet he walks out to a road withing two miles of base. The best part was his family had been at the base for the whole 4 days. Imagine the reception when that truck pulled up.

Crowderfarms":2kc28awb said:
Bama, Good work finding the old feller!

Did he by chance have a 45-70 with him, and go by the Name "Burno" ?

Naw, it wasn't ole caustic. He would have been easy to find. He would have left a trail of them thar hogs stacked up like cordwood. ;-)

Love a happy ending, but you got to wonder what his family was thinking with not sending someone with him considering his condition. I hope they learned a valuable lesson.

I'm glad it ended the way it did.

I read a story in the newspaper a few years ago about a man in Colorado, a 64 year old cowboy that spent 36 hours in the saddle with nothing but his dogs with him. I believe he and another cowboy were out looking for lost cattle. They split up sometime during the day and the old man found himself in some bad terrain at sunset. He decided instead of taking the chance of falling on the way down the trail he would just wait it out till morning. So he, his horse and dogs found a spot to wait it out. They stood all night in the snow and the next day instead of heading back he continued looking for those lost cows. The next day just before sunset again a rescue worker found him, and asked if he was the man that was lost and he answered I dn't think so. When the rescue worker asked his name he told him that thye had been looking for him he said well I guess you found me. :) Ended up one of his legs had to be amputated because it froze solid. :(

When they asked him if he was ever scared he told them it was just another day on the job.

Sounds like an old time real cowboy to me. :cboy:

sidney411":2y62yii0 said:
Great story!

If he could hear ya'll why didn't he go towards where you were? Anyway, glad he turned out OK!

This place is really thick. He could hear us but couldn't go toward us. There are many bluffs in the area also. He could hardly walk. He didn't travel more that a mile a day. Thats daylight to dark. He was a tough old bird. He later said he heard prople at night. He said "I thought it may have been some hoodlums having a party or something". He wasn't really concerned about being lost. He was surprised when he found out that there had been so many folks looking for him. He was a guy that had spent a lot of his time in the woods and wasn't really concerned and never did panic.

Love a happy ending, but you got to wonder what his family was thinking with not sending someone with him considering his condition. I hope they learned a valuable lesson.

Even at 73 he still goes out hunting. He said he will continue to go out there. To him this is not a way of life, it is life. I have a hunting buddy that has ran across him in the area several times. He was lost in the Bankhead National Forest. This is a large area. Thick with underbrush. As some members of the family put it at the commanmd post before he was found. " He was doing one of the things he enjoyed most in life."

Local news never mentioned all those ailments, you mentioned
There was also some speculation that he had been picked up and something happened to him elsewhere. Those stations were broadcasting from the city of Moulton. Most of them didn't even go to the scene. Those of us that know that area can fully understand how someone can disappear. Usually someone is able to answer when you call for them. If they are not able to call or stand up you would nearly have to step on them to find them. He was wearing a dark green shirt, making him harder to spot. Aircraft were sent up but its so thick its like looking for a fire ant in a bale of hay.

link to some pics of the area.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/northernb ... /my_photos

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/northernb ... /my_photos

Latest posts