Losing Cows

Help Support CattleToday:

wbvs58":1ttx4674 said:
Did he do a blood stained blood smear or is he just guessing?

Ken

Lol. I bet he is guessing. :hide:

Maybe took a sample to confirm. I am only an hour from rollinhills. There have been cases here. This is one reason I use UltraBoss on their back and spray their feet and navel with permethrin.

I know nothing on this subject but it seems we are north of what is reported as being the problem area. Mostly tropical. Says north to 32 S and were north of that a bit.

kenny thomas":3nqjbx33 said:
I know nothing on this subject but it seems we are north of what is reported as being the problem area. Mostly tropical. Says north to 32 S and were north of that a bit.

Don't put too much stock in that! It would be a bad investment. Dr. Darin Stanfield gave an hour long presentation at the UK Extension office in Maysville. The movement of cattle over the last 5 years has made those distribution maps of recent years obsolete.

Bright Raven":3rnzllrh said:
kenny thomas":3rnzllrh said:

Don't put too much stock in that! It would be a bad investment. Dr. Darin Stanfield gave an hour long presentation at the UK Extension office in Maysville. The movement of cattle over the last 5 years has made those distribution maps of recent years obsolete.
Ok, so does the problem go away in the winter?

kenny thomas":3rxxorzt said:
Bright Raven":3rxxorzt said:
kenny thomas":3rxxorzt said:

The disease can still be transmitted mechanically by needle. If it is in your herd. Some cattle become carriers. So no, it can still be a problem.

Bright Raven":3onxtnpi said:
kenny thomas":3onxtnpi said:
Bright Raven":3onxtnpi said:

The disease can still be transmitted mechanically by needle. If it is in your herd. Some cattle become carriers. So no, it can still be a problem.
Just another excellent reason to change needless between cows.

I hate to hear that. any thing that has it and you get them well needs to be sold, and not sold to put back on the farm ''Slaughter Only'' they can be carriers. As for a problem in the winter its not near the problem in the winter. Ticks are the big spreader of it and needles, preg. checking, anything that can transfer blood from one cow to the other. Horse flies about half the vets will swear they can spread it and the other half will say they can't ?????

Vets treat Anaplasmosis around here with medicated mineral... it does take a VFD but a sure way to make sure that you are treating all of your cows. The medication is usually Aureomycin (sp?) in the 5600 dose/serving.

TN Cattle Man":16l02dk2 said:
Vets treat Anaplasmosis around here with medicated mineral... it does take a VFD but a sure way to make sure that you are treating all of your cows. The medication is usually Aureomycin (sp?) in the 5600 dose/serving.

That is a trade name for Chlortetracycline. Just pass on what Dr. Stanfield said about using mineral.

1. It is not a treatment. It is a form of prevention or control.

2. It is difficult to assure that all cows are getting the levels of Chlortetracycline to prevent the onset of the disease.

3. It is difficult to get mineral with the levels necessary to control anaplasmosis.

BTW: there are threads on anaplasmosis. I know I started one. Lucky_P has made similar comments to those I listed.

Good ectoparasite control is very important. Some of the fly controls also control ticks. Ticks are by far the primary vector.

TN Cattle Man":9y1g13ai said:
''Treat Anaplasmosis'' or do you mean they use it as a preventive ?? I used the mineral till you had to have a VFD, there is also a shot you can give them in spring. I think it is two shots the first year then a booster each year after, not for sure maybe some one will say

I know someone using the mineral with Garlic in it and says it really helps with the ticks.

Using mineral with very high levels of Chlortetracycline is more of a prophylaxis than a treatment.

I use vitaferm heat in the summer. It includes garlic which some say chases away ticks, mosquitoes, flies, etc.

kenny thomas":136qr6cy said:

I'm much much further north than you and had a horse get anaplasmosis like 3 years back, most likely from a tick.

So apparently winter doesn't hamper it at all.

Lucky_P posted this on the thread "Anaplasmosis".

The level of CTC allowed in mineral will only protect up to a 750 lb animal - and then, only if they're eating their theoretical 4oz of mineral every day. There's (That's) not enough, and consumption is so variable, that I would never trust CTC-medicated mineral to provide 'protection' for mature cows/bulls. It might help, but the likelihood of 'breakthrough' cases is pretty high.
For effective 'control' of clinical disease, cattle need to consume 0.5mg CTC/lb body weight DAILY throughout the vector season(Apr-Nov here). Note that those animals consuming that level of CTC can/will still become infected... they just will be far less likely to develop clinical illness and die.

I use vitaferm heat minerial with igr and had a walk through sprayer and still got it, couldn't seem the keep the dang flies off them. he told me to feed this top dressing stuff that has that Chlor what ever it is in it. He cut one of the dead cows down the side to look at the membrane and it was all yellow looking, tod me that was a sure sign.

rollinhills":2kd9bva4 said:
I use vitaferm heat minerial with igr and had a walk through sprayer and still got it, couldn't seem the keep the dang flies off them. he told me to feed this top dressing stuff that has that Chlor what ever it is in it. He cut one of the dead cows down the side to look at the membrane and it was all yellow looking, tod me that was a sure sign.

Rollinhills,

What is the commercial name of the feed dressing? Is it something you top dress feed with after you put feed in a bunk? I assume it is a concentrated Chlortetracycline.

I have another suggestion. If the cows were on very green grass, and all of a sudden just dropped dead have they looked at " ACUTE BOVINE PULMONARY EDEMA AND EMPHYSEMA" ? It is from a change to lush pasture and causes changes in the l-tryptopan in their system and then causes other changes in the gut which allows this to get into their blood stream and causes a type of pnuemonia. It is complicated but let me tell you, it can cause death in 1-3 days with little or no warning. It is more common in fast growing lush pastures in the spring or fall.
We lost 12 cows to it in 2 days and barely saved 4 cows and the bull. It does not affect calves. We moved the cows on Sunday, checked them on Tuesday and closed the gate, the owner called on Thursday afternoon, and said there was a dead cow or something he could smell. We got over there, found several dead cows, called the vet, did an autopsy on one at 9 p.m. that night. Got the others loaded the next morning after opening the gate and moving them back into the previous pasture. Then treated them at the vets office. There is plenty of papers on it but the answer is to use monensin in the mineral which inhibits the growth of the l-tryptophan in the gut and stops the problem. Our calves were in the 300 lb range, but we had just rotated the cows to a new pasture and in 4 days, had this happen. We did soil tests, water tests, autopsies, and finally a vet in the practice did some research and came up with that. In the meantime, spent alot of money treating and subsequently saving the 4 cows and the bull.

Please give it some consideration. With all the rain most places have had, and the grass having these growth spurts, it is a possibility.

Here's what a typical anaplasmosis cow looks like at necropsy; all fat and connective tissues will be yellow, due to hemolysis causing hemoglobin breakdown products to accumulate faster than the liver can process them.

Spleen will be enlarged and 'pulpy'.

Lucky_P
Interesting post, What about the heart , how does it effect it?
I have always heard they can have a heart attack real easy if they are in and advanced stage, is that so ?

Latest posts