Losing Cows

Help Support CattleToday:

rollinhills":31h8csrm said:
We have lose two very healthy looking cows in the last 3 days, they both had 550# calves on them, no signs of anything just up and died. I'm wondering if it is anaplaz. called the vet haven't heard back from him yet.

Anaplasmosis causes them to be anemic because the Anaplasma bacterium destroys the Red Blood cells. Were they lethargic? Maybe behaving differently than normal such as remaining behind or laying down?

Do you vaccinate for the Clostridial group of bacteria such as using a blackleg 7 or 8 way like Covexin 8?

What about all this green grass we have. Have you had mineral out?

Just some thoughts.

Like raven, I'd look at mineral and grass.your area they are prolly in belly high green grass. We lost one 2017 to grass tetny. We keep mineral/salt out year round, But our grass goes from brown to GREEN overnight. Did you have vet check either of them?

rollinhills":2nn3wn10 said:
yes I have vitaferm mineral out, didn't notice them being slugish or anything, seemed fine monday couldn't get there to check them last night, they had their shots, but due the fall work up.

Vitaferm is A number 1. I use it too. I sure hate to hear this. Get the vet out ASAP.

Our cattle association has a speaker coming to talk to the group about cows dying from something carried by a Lone Star tick.
But I can't find anything that says a Lone Star tick will kill a cow so I don't know what this speaker will have to say.

That scenario at this time of year...anaplasmosis is at the top of my list of possibilities.
Stay on your veterinarian and get a examination done, especially if he/she is seeing anaplaz in other local herds. If it is anaplaz, you're likely to have other infected animals in the herd and potentially more deaths in the offing

rollinhills":3c9nlvr5 said:
I talked to my vet this morning he suspects anaplasmosis, he's coming to check things out. He told me he diagnosed a herd the other day with it, guess we will see after while. I just hope I can get it stopped.

Ugghhh, sorry to hear. I hope that you & your vet can get a handle on things and that you don't lose any more.

Good luck to you, let us know.

I hope not anaplasmosis. I look forward to hearing. You are only a few counties over. And also close to Tennessee Tuxedo.

If your vet wants to give them all a shot of LA200, MAKE SURE HE CHANGES NEEDLE BETWEEN EACH COW !!!!! I ran to that a few years ago and vet DID NOT change needle and it seemed to make it worse.
JUST MY 2 CENTS, TAKE IT OR LEAVE IT .

rollinhills":2tl1czue said:
Anaplasmosis is the verdict, going to start treating them in the morning. He said he's seen 4 other farms with it in the last ten days must be getting bad around here.

Sorry to hear. But, glad that you have a definitive diagnosis. Glad that y'all will be getting treatment started right away.
Good luck!

Thanks for the update.

rollinhills":b82h3hz0 said:
Anaplasmosis is the verdict, going to start treating them in the morning. He said he's seen 4 other farms with it in the last ten days must be getting bad around here.
Is this transmitted by ticks?

kenny thomas":33sbjtfw said:
rollinhills":33sbjtfw said:
Is this transmitted by ticks?

Yes. Ticks are the primary vector.

It pays to use UltraBoss or Ultrasabre because they also repel ticks.

Latest posts