Losing Cattle? TX Beefmaster Need Help

Help Support CattleToday:

I think that what CB said was not out of line. Maybe a bit blunt, but i sure would have a vet out to look at a 20 month old after just losing a younger calf. The OP asked for an opinion, CB gave it. The OP came back with what I thought was a bit of a smart aleck response for a new poster.....
My first reaction was Blackleg. And yes, have seen it in older animals on occasion. ESPECIALLY in unusual weather where there is a period of prolonged wet weather, and with excessive growth of grass. Had a serious problem last year with that Bovine edema that is caused by exceptional lush grass growth , but there were 4 that also showed signs of blackleg with the crackling under the skin and almost lost one to it.
We have usually thought that the dam's colostrum will protect them from blackleg for about 8 weeks.....but that is only if they have a good immune system and there hasn't been alot of wet weather. We now vaccinate all the cows that go through the chute at preg check for both Lepto and blackleg. BOTH KILLED Virus vaccines. It's cheap insurance. I do not use any modified live virus vaccines, and know I will get some flack from others on here, but just my preferences after some bad experiences in the past. That said, Lepto is a big problem here and blackleg is something we had some major problems with many years ago at one particular pasture, both are cheap, easy, and don't cause abortion problems and offer some passive response in the calves....so we do it.

I can't imagine why someone would sick the dog on a cow to "get her gut working"

CB should not have said stupid tax. Ignorant tax would have been more appropriate.

Possibly don't have a clue what your doing tax.

he might've thought the cow was acting like a horse that is colic-ing; so, he thought get it moving to get the gut working...but, that is just a guess....

I can see the logic. I have two dogs and I can't go a hundred yards on a tractor or 4 wheeler first thing of a morning and they gotta stop and take a poop.
Whats the first thing a cow does when it gets up after laying down for a while.... usually their bowels move.
Most animals when they get a little excited have to stop and do #2.
So I can see the reasoning.

Ol' 243":cid8x6gz said:
And ???? The guy is trying to ask a question and learn something. Stop being a dick. He comes on here, ask a question, gets treated like shyt, and then you pile on him. WTF? Maybe we should ban him, give him CG8's phone number, and let him ask a pro.

This brings back memories of the way I got treated a few times when I first started here. Made me a little misty just thinking about it. :cry2:

Latest posts