Lopsided Cow

Help Support CattleToday:

dcara

Reaction score
Here a pic of a cow with her April5th calf. Notice how lopsided she is. Any thoughts on why she's so lopsided?

recent[img]

Shes been that way for quite awhile. Though it does seem worse recently. They are on 2:1 rangemeal and pasture. Not all the pasture looks as bad as it does here, but there's not any alphalfa, or big green stands of anything.

Do you have sweet clover in your pastures? It is a legume and has been known to cause a problem or two with some cows, also. I'm not saying definitively that it is bloat, but she is high and wide on the left side - and some cows are just bloaters for no apparant reason.

I have not been able to find any clovers. Just all N.E. Texas native grasses. Lots of oak trees, BosD"Arc, ceders, honylocust. etc. Saw her eating the tree leaves behind her in the pic. Are there any tree leaves than can cause bloat?

dcara":39gl7ya1 said:
I have not been able to find any clovers. Just all N.E. Texas native grasses. Lots of oak trees, BosD"Arc, ceders, honylocust. etc. Saw her eating the tree leaves behind her in the pic. Are there any tree leaves than can cause bloat?

I did a search and I'm thinking the answer is 'yes' based on that search, but I couldn't find anything useful or definitive. :oops: :oops: Sorry.

Alot of cows are lopsided like that. It's because the rumen is on the left side of the cow and it's full of grass, so it's big and round, the other sides less full so it droops somewhat. Most all cows are lopsided like that, especially noticable after having a calf.

Are ya'll still that dry up there? Recent pic?

jersey lilly":1uu7s9tn said:
Alot of cows are lopsided like that. It's because the rumen is on the left side of the cow and it's full of grass, so it's big and round, the other sides less full so it droops somewhat. Most all cows are lopsided like that, especially noticable after having a calf.

Our's aren't.

jersey lilly":1mb133vs said:

Are ya'll still that dry up there? Recent pic?

Some are and some aren;t. Seems to be more common in older cows. A good rumjen full isn;t alwasy bloat, normally just a very full rumen.

dun

Jersey is right, alot of cows are lopsided like that. in fact ALL are to a degree. some are just way more lopsided than others. i mean if you think about its not like they are symmetrical in there. rumen on the left. uterus normally more to the right. lol.

131.jpg

dun has a good point about it becoming more pronounced with age too. I'm not at all worried about your cow. she looks happy to me.

Oak is poisonous, but it doesnt usually cause bloat as far as I know. My experience has been they get almost anorexiac (sp) and weak. I never had a problem with them actually eating the leaves, but they liked the little curlyque bud looking things in the spring that fall to the ground.

Thanks folks for your insights. BTW shes about 6yr old.

J.L. Yes. We are that dry up here. Pic taken last Saturday morning. The pasture in the pic is 90% Rye. It is some property I bought back in April that has been negelected and overgrazed for years so I've got quite a bit of renovation work infront of me.

dcara":eylal90p said:
Thanks folks for your insights. BTW shes about 6yr old.

J.L. Yes. We are that dry up here. Pic taken last Saturday morning. The pasture in the pic is 90% Rye. It is some property I bought back in April that has been negelected and overgrazed for years so I've got quite a bit of renovation work infront of me.

Ours looks just as bad and the $8000 we spent on Tiffton 85 is down the drain.

acorns will do that too, (not make em lopsided) but make them loose weight and look terrible. But they love em!!!! silly critters LOL Not a whole lot you can do to keep em from eatin em tho, unless you wanna go thru and clear cut a place and git rid of all the oak trees.

Sure hope you get some rain dcara, I hadn't seen pictures from that part of texas in a while, didnt realize it was still that bad up that way. I'm about 60 miles north of Houston and we've been gettin some nice rains the last 2 or 3 weeks, that have really helped things out.

Latest posts