Looks like a good bull? ? ?

Help Support CattleToday:

spoon":1v99rqsf said:
I need to learn something here. Would someone explain what is wrong with his shoulders please? He looks pretty good to the uneducated. :dunce:

Your bull does have alot of good peices to him he seems to be really powerful. but to answer your question his shoulder lays in to far forward causing the point of his shoulder to appear course and rough.. The problem that you face with a bull that tends to open up through his shoulder (as he does) is that typically this problem directly correlates to future possible calving difficulty with the females he has been mated to. with the future frame you can expect in your bull he will probably end up around 1600-2000lbs at a mature weight and with these problems with his shoulder structure it can cause problems with his mobility because of the fact that he will not travel with enough comfort and flexability on the move.
This was written by my son (Sophmore Animal Science Blinn College), Avalon

with the future frame you can expect in your bull he will probably end up around 1600-2000lbs at a mature weight

I would expect a half simmental bull out of a charolais crossbred cow to mature at a much heavier weight. I would not expect him anything less than 2000 lbs with 2500lbs being more likely.

My herefords are very moderate and for most part live a tough life and my frame 5 bulls weigh more than 2000lbs when mature.

KNERSIE":gfzzybzg said:
with the future frame you can expect in your bull he will probably end up around 1600-2000lbs at a mature weight

I would expect a half simmental bull out of a charolais crossbred cow to mature at a much heavier weight. I would not expect him anything less than 2000 lbs with 2500lbs being more likely.

My herefords are very moderate and for most part live a tough life and my frame 5 bulls weigh more than 2000lbs when mature.

I don't know if this will help but.......one of her calves was about 5 yrs. old and we sold her and she weighed 1,680 -/+

iowafarmer":3p9pd4jk said:
ooohhh well you maybe should of mentioned that in the original post because the way you worded it, it sounded like you were interested in retaining or selling him as a herd bull. He will make a decent feeder steer if castrated. he has good length and muscling for fattening. He is not bull material though.

I bet that could have been said without coming off as seeming sarcastic. Being as the poster said they are 15.

that bull is a steer waiting to happen...cattle business got no need for grade bull's nowdays. no matter how good he look's.. he'll look better on the rail

He looks like he will make a great steer, lots of growth potential, should really pack the weight on. He looks like he will have no problem converting feed to meat. Now as far as a bull, not so good but that is OK, not every calf is meant to reproduce. Keep breeding them the way you are you will continue to get good replacement heifers and improve your herd, you are just not at a point that you can produce a good usable bull, good steers, just not bulls.

Good job.

Dusty-Trails":3qmunn8r said:
iowafarmer":3qmunn8r said:
ooohhh well you maybe should of mentioned that in the original post because the way you worded it, it sounded like you were interested in retaining or selling him as a herd bull. He will make a decent feeder steer if castrated. he has good length and muscling for fattening. He is not bull material though.

I bet that could have been said without coming off as seeming sarcastic. Being as the poster said they are 15.

I wasn't meaning to come off sarcastic i said ooohh as in i didn't realize that was how you were wanting opinions due to the way it was worded.

This "should" be a steer. Besides the facts that he is an open-shouldered crossbred, he also appears horned.
Of course, this poster has already said that he will not be castrating ANY of his bull calves. He, as yet, has not explained why. But, he did say that he wanted to start selling breeding bulls.
Nice muscled calf - should be steered.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":345oubl1 said:
This "should" be a steer. Besides the facts that he is an open-shouldered crossbred, he also appears horned.
Of course, this poster has already said that he will not be castrating ANY of his bull calves. He, as yet, has not explained why. But, he did say that he wanted to start selling breeding bulls.
Nice muscled calf - should be steered.
from what ive seen jeanne she is a smart 15 year old girl... still learnin' the ropes ;-)

Aside from the shoulder structure and the apparent horn buds starting to show that have already been mentioned, one other thing you might want to consider for white-faced cattle is pigmentation around the eyes (or the lack of). I'm not entirely certain if this holds true for Simmental-influenced cattle as it does for Hereford-influenced (I'll assume it does for now), but it is good to have some colored pigmentation around both eyes to help reduce the occurrence of cancer eye.

--Marc

Question........I thought that because there is no color around the eye they can/will only get PINK EYE......but does cancer eye come from pink eye or what? ? ? :???:

TexasSimmentals":16evfxxh said:
Question........I thought that because there is no color around the eye they can/will only get PINK EYE......but does cancer eye come from pink eye or what? ? ? :???:

Bovine Ocular Neoplasia (BON) or Cancer Eye is a tumor of the cow's eye or eyelid and it is thought that cattle without pigment around their eyes are more susceptible to this. NebGuide 1184 explains BON in more depth.

Infectious Bovine Keratoconjunctivitis (IBK) or Pinkeye is a bacterial disease and it too often affects cattle without the eye pigment to a greater degree. However, pinkeye often result from poor management practices and can most often be prevented.

Both of these conditions seem to be more prevalent in the white-faced cattle; Hereford and the white-faced Simmental where the individuals are lacking any eye pigmentation.

lawnviewfarm":120kd4yf said:
TexasSimmentals":120kd4yf said:

Bovine Ocular Neoplasia (BON) or Cancer Eye is a tumor of the cow's eye or eyelid and it is thought that cattle without pigment around their eyes are more susceptible to this. NebGuide 1184 explains BON in more depth.

Infectious Bovine Keratoconjunctivitis (IBK) or Pinkeye is a bacterial disease and it too often affects cattle without the eye pigment to a greater degree. However, pinkeye often result from poor management practices and can most often be prevented.

Both of these conditions seem to be more prevalent in the white-faced cattle; Hereford and the white-faced Simmental where the individuals are lacking any eye pigmentation.

Although I agree pigment is ideal, there is much more to that than simply a small area of coloured skin.

KNERSIE":zqqrbls0 said:
lawnviewfarm":zqqrbls0 said:
TexasSimmentals":zqqrbls0 said:

Although I agree pigment is ideal, there is much more to that than simply a small area of coloured skin.

Absolutely!

I put another pic of him on here if anyone cares to back and see........his right eye has SOME color to it......

TexasSimmentals":3kweos3f said:
I put another pic of him on here if anyone cares to back and see........his right eye has SOME color to it......

He actually has a lot of pigment on the right eye. The bullcalf's eyes is OK, my concern lies with the shoulders. I have written a detailed explanation on what to select for as far as eyes go in herefords, the apply for simmental. I am useless at searching, but I'm sure if you do a search you'll find it. I think it was titled "hereford eyeset, by popular demand"

KNERSIE":214dbjnt said:
TexasSimmentals":214dbjnt said:

He actually has a lot of pigment on the right eye. The bullcalf's eyes is OK, my concern lies with the shoulders. I have written a detailed explanation on what to select for as far as eyes go in herefords, the apply for simmental. I am useless at searching, but I'm sure if you do a search you'll find it. I think it was titled "hereford eyeset, by popular demand"

If this worked right, here's the link: hereford eyeset, by popular demand. Actually, I tried to search for it before making my earlier comments; it did help to have the thread subject line. Thanks, KNERSIE!

--Marc

Latest posts