Looking for cow/calf op advice

Help Support CattleToday:

Tigers_Pride

Reaction score
My husband and I are 27 years old, have little cattle experience and are looking to buy 187 acres to start a cow/calf operation El Paso County Colorado.

Here is what we have done: checked into the water rights and made sure that the land has enough water, the land is currently fenced and has a barn for the cattle. We know that the land will need some help as it has been neglected so we planned to seed, fertilize and water it for about the next 2-3 years to allow for good grass growth before we begin to buy cattle and have them graze.

We are looking into doing some volunteer work at a ranch near the land so we can learn about cattle and see if this is something we can do alone or if we would need help.

We have considered having a few horses on the land as work horses.

Is there more that we should be looking into? How do we locate someone to sell the calves to one they are weaned? What is the best type of cattle for this? We had looked at Angus Beef cattle are they a good choice? Is there any assistance for new young farmers that would be able to help us with the planning? Any information you can provide will be greatly appreciated. We welcome, book suggestions, web sights or just experienced advice.

Thank you so much!!

Is this an irrigated farm?

If not then you are probably looking at no more than 10 Cows year round, likely less, during spring and summer up to 20 or so.

There is a salebarn in Calhan.

The USDA does have young farmer/rancher loan programs you should check into through your county office.

I would probably focus on something besides traditional Cow/calf or if I did want a few cows I'd buy something in the spring to be sold before winter since you really don't have enough acreage to stockpile forage.

Ever thought about baby calves or very light calves, weaning them and running them on your grass for a few months, they eat a lot less than a Cow, you could run several light calves for every 1 Cow.

If it is an irrigated farm then you can do quite a lot with that acreage.

Traderarron -
We are looking into the aspect of setting up irragation as there is nothing set up yet. My husband and I are not quite sure how we would even go about that so we have just been trying to research how we would be able to do this. He had considered piping the water underground but then we fear the pipes freezing or bursting in the winter time. Do you have any suggestions for the irrigation?

I will have to look into the light/baby calves. I had not considered those. Would that work the same as a cow calf operation? You just care for and wean until they are able to be sold for slaughter?

I'm guessing it's not an irrigated farm if it is not currently and if it was not sold to you as such, there may even be stipulations on your well and how it can be used.

If it's a dryland pasture then you can run a few head of Cows year round.

Maybe sheep or goats would work better and on a seasonal basis.

187 acres in Colorado is very small for Cattle.

Latest posts