Looking for a bottle calf....

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
I am new to the board but have a question or two.
My grand daughter is wanting to get a bottle calf, my questions are...what breed would be the best? heifer or bull? We have Scottish Highlands but don't want to deal with the horns for the grand daughter. Thanks for any info, Kim

I would go with heifer or steer i wouldnt go with a bull as of wch breed is your choice i would go withe hereford ,angus,hereford x angus...Or whatever calf loods good when you go to buy

KBell":1ltxzmre said:
I am new to the board but have a question or two.
My grand daughter is wanting to get a bottle calf, my questions are...what breed would be the best? heifer or bull? We have Scottish Highlands but don't want to deal with the horns for the grand daughter. Thanks for any info, Kim

You stated that you are new to the boards, my question is are you new to cattle as well? As far as breed is concerned - given your location - I would look for a lighter colored beef breed that has been proven to be able to deal with the heat/sun of your location. Hereford, Red Angus, Murray Grey, Brahman, Brangus - I'm sure there are several others that I'm not aware of, as well. I'm sure angus would probably work too(I mean no disrepect, nor am I looking for a fight Frankie), but black hide/hair tends to absorb sun, and the heat can be hard on a young calf. I would stay away from dairy breeds, especially if this is your first bottle calf, because they tend to be a little more difficult to raise. As far as heifer or bull - I believe I would go with a bull. It takes about five minutes to band him, and he will probably bring more at the salebarn once he is raised. Remember to give him a good milk byproduct based milk replacer(as opposed to soy), and make sure it has at least 20% protein and fat. Good luck with your calf, and have fun raising him!

It is easiest for me to buy a split from the sale barn. If someone brings in an aged cow with a young calf by her side, she often just gets sold for hamburger. When that happens, the ring man will often split the calf off and sell it separate. Hence, the term "split".

A week old calf will still take to the bottle if you can put it in a chute and force feed it the first time. A calf this age has had its fill of colostrums and is on its way. The naval cord will still be attached but dry.

Around here an eared heifer or a marketable steer will cost you the most. Generally these are the ones that get split in order for the auction to get more money for the owner and themselves.

You are probably going to have to feed it for two days. After that you can let her take over.