lookin at a horse tomarrow.

Help Support CattleToday:

cattleluvr18

Reaction score
so im just a little bit new to horses and im lookin at my first one tomarrow. just wonderin what i all need to look for. i know this is late notice, but any info will help. i hope ya'll like questions b/c im gonna have alot when i get one!

What breed/age are you looking at? What is your riding experience?

Overall, look for a good disposition. How easy is the horse to catch? Was he/she haltered when you came? Generally when I'm selling a horse I'll intentionally keep the halter off so the potential buyer can see that catching and haltering isn't an issue.

Have the owner lunge the horse prior to riding. Observe for any signs of lameness or conformation issues that could be a problem. JMO, owner should ride horse first before the potential buyer. I'm a little skeptical of a horse that the owner refuses to ride. Tacking up...does the horse act nervous about any of it? Take the bit easily? Stay calm while tied?

If you're happy with everything than have a vet do a pre-purchase exam.

Skims the top here, but I hope I was of some help.

A little late here but here goes.
BURNED TWICE!!!
Check the feet. Look for any sore spots by tapping on the sole of the hoof.
(1. Foundered) :mad:
Do they chew on the bit and are hard to control?
Do they load into the trailer easily and stand there or do they move around alot and are always moving? Called scrambling.
Can you place your finger in the side of the mouth?
(2. Could not worm and tried to remove spouses head with front feet. Ran away with son too.)

went and looked at the horse today and decided to buy it. it went really well. the horse wasnt haltered when we got there. watched him put it and she just stood there. and he even let me saddle her up to learn a little. i rode her. oh my goodness i fell in love. she's wonderful. she does need a hoof trim and shoed and she will go up to the vet first thing. she looks well cared for. im not too worried. yup i can put a finger in the mouth(did it to put in the bit). she knows all the commands very well (its me who dont know them :oops:) she is a 6 year old appalosa*spelling* arabian cross. yes, she's very tall and leggy. :D shes unregistered but i think its ok. im planning on gettin another horse in a few months. that one will be for poles and barrels and that stuff. this ones just a real good starter for now. well i think thats about it. be lookin for pics soon!

thanks guys

IMO a prepurchase exam/vet check would be a good idea prior to shelling out the cash, especially if she needs her hooves trimmed... we've been burned a few times in this area. I'd have her trimmed/shod prior to the vet check and prior to paying for her.

I agree with milkmaid. You do realize that Arabians tend to be a bit hot-blooded and, because of that are not an optimum choice for a beginner - IMHO.

thanks for lookin out guys, but i think ill take my chances. i trust this guy and im not worried about it. yes, i've been told that arabians can be hot tempered but when i was around her she was very gentle and calm. and i rode her myself. i know thats not 100% reliable, but i think she'll be ok. i shall keep ya'll updated on how she goes.

Just because you trust the person doesn't mean that there isn't something that he doesn't know about.

Horses are easy to buy, and hard to resell... been there done that.

milkmaid":2yfyke0l said:
Just because you trust the person doesn't mean that there isn't something that he doesn't know about.

Horses are easy to buy, and hard to resell... been there done that.

Amen to that! Brings back bad, bad memories! :roll:

I'd second the pre-purchase exam. I also had my farrier look at pics of my potential purchase. I would've liked her to go see him, but he was an hour from here and farther from her.

Appys are wonderful horses, not sure about the cross though. :D I wish you luck!

This is my fine lady...Lacey. :D

aa01eb3d5769.jpg

born2run":3bajz46s said:
I'd second the pre-purchase exam. I also had my farrier look at pics of my potential purchase. I would've liked her to go see him, but he was an hour from here and farther from her.

I had my farrier and his wife (leader of the Pony Club) come out and look at a lot of horses for me before I finally bought the one I used for jumping. I can't even count the number that they drove out to look at for me... and there were a lot that I thought were good and they turned down. My farrier's wife has an eye for horses like no one I've ever known before; I remember the horse with heaves, the ones with pulled muscles or lamenesses that I couldn't detect, or poor dispositions, or a misaligned spine or some other problem. FWIW, 99% of the owners thought the horses were perfectly fine. I looked at a lot of horses before purchasing one (who, incidently, when I sold 5 years later, it was to my farrier and his wife for their daughter. ;-)).

thanks guys for trying to talk me outta it. :p (there was sarcasm in that ;-) ) well its too late now, shes officially mine. :D im happy about it, i think it will be ok. and now to hijack my own thread. she dont have shoes on, should i shoe her?? she'll be mainly for trail. my dad wants to get her trained for barrels and poles, but i'd just rather get another horse :D (yes, im gettin greedy...again, but I would buy that one frommy steers that im sellin this fall) im hoping this one will be good enough for pleasure. that has always looked like fun to me. her name is star. personally i dont like it, but i gotta go with it! 8)

born2run your horse is very pretty. i only like a "special" kinda grey and she has that. mine is a little bit lighter then that. i really want a buckskin one. i think they are the prettiest! look for pics this weekend!

hey karlton, its kinda hard to do anything in the rain. it never stops raining here. i feel like i live in the dang rain forest or soemthing.

Congrats on the new horse. Instead of buying another horse, use some of that money for riding lessons. An experienced trainer will put you on the road to success. If you want to run barrels or poles, there is more to it than just running the pattern. Basic horsemanship skills come first.

If you don't know how to ride, you can make major mistakes without realizing it and ruin your horse.

Don't expect your horse to teach you. It can't. The horse will only do what you tell it to do.

Good luck with her.

PS. I hope that you bought her with a recent negative Coggins Test. Even though it is too late, a veterinary pre-purchase exam can save a lot of heart ache later.

Moocow11":22i95wxp said:
put on a rain coat and some mudders and hop to it.
come on karlton, you know me better then to think that im gonna do that. theres only an 95% chance of rain tomarrow, maybe ill get it done then :p

chippie, i know a person or persons that are willing to teach me for free. she's goin up to the vet the same day or the next day that i get her. what is a coggins test? i'll have my vet do whatever is needed.

it is a test for horses, you have to have for most horse show. i have never had a problem with it.

cattleluvr18":1wh7rh74 said:
what is a coggins test? i'll have my vet do whatever is needed.

A Coggins test is for Equine Infectious Anemia (EIA) - a incurable disease very similar to HIV/AIDS in people. It's required in most (all?) states for crossing state borders, as well as most horse shows and boarding.

Glad to hear you are happy.
Personally I love my Morgan crosses, but to each their own.
Buckskins are great looking horses too.
My son's 10 yo cross is a good cow, trail, and O-Mok-See horse. He's only complaint about that horse is he likes to nip him on the backside.
Take your time before buying another horse. Find out the complete potential of this one and then go from there.
FYI the only papered horse we had was the foundered one.
My new horse is a papered Morgan. (Not the foundered one.)

Latest posts