This was waiting for me when I got up this morning:

New_kid_photos_002.JPG

and this

New_kid_photos_010.JPG

Then when I got home from uni today (about lunchtime) I found this:

New_kid_photos_016.JPG

and this

New_kid_photos_017.JPG

So I got four healthy, happy kids from two does today. Each doe had a buck kid and a doe kid (in the photos the ones standing are the doe kids).

Just the maiden to go. I hope she kids as well as these two did.

They are just so cute I could spend all my day just lookin at em :D

Congrats Keren!!

I do love little Angora babies!

Good luck with the other doe. Hope she kids as well as they did.

Oh Keren, how cute are they!!!!!!! :heart:

Alice

I was scared to open this thread. With all the colonostomy talk on the everything else board.

cfpinz

Thanks everyone.

cfpinz, that cracked me up! :lol:

Gate opener, yeah they do but I dont like to play around with them too much when they are still young, so the mums dont have any second thoughts about whether they are 'theirs' or not. Unfortunately, some Angora mums 'forget' their babies so as a precaution I pen them up for a few days. These girls are being pretty good mums though. One has a teat too large for the babies so I am having to milk that one out, which is a pain but I dont particularly want any udder damage, so hopefully the kids will be able to get to it soon.

Dun . . . DEFINITELY NOT CAB!

I would be very annoyed if they were black :lol:

Are you raising them for the hair or will you sell the offspring?

I knew a lady who used to get wool from a friend in Australia (if memory serves me right) and she actually spun it out on a spinning wheel and then knitted sweaters. I bought one from her, it was beautiful. She started selling to high end stores.

sidney411":1f9ggizc said:
Will the female be sterile like in cattle?

No. Mixed gender kids in multiple births are a lot more common then same sex multiples.
Deer are the same way, as are dogs, pigs, humans, etc. Seems that cattle are the only ones that have the freemartin situation to any degree.

Bullbuyer":2q0n0crd said:
dun":2q0n0crd said:
flaboy":2q0n0crd said:
Strange looking calf. I would throw it back. :lol:

It sure won;t make CAB with that color!

I think them there calves is old world pink nosed charolais!
Looking at the size of those things they may have gone to far with reducing calving size. ;-)

Tod, they are actually pretty heavy 'calves' compared to the Angora average. Both does are 2.9kg and the bucks are 3.6 and 3.7 kg.

Thanks for answering that for me dun. The reason for the freemartin condition is because cattle are monoctus (ie. disposed to only ovulate one ovum) wherease sheep, goats, deer, and certainly pigs are more polyoctus (ie. tend to ovulate more than one ovum). When the embryo of any ruminant species reaches a certain stage it develops the long membranes which become the placenta. These membranes are required to cover a certain area of the uterus, which triggers pregnancy recognition in the female. If this doesnt happen the pregnancy is aborted. When there are multiple embryos, the placental membranes can become overlapped. In polyoctus species, the embryos have the ability to move and change their position in the uterus so that they are no longer overlapped. Monoctus species such as cattle do not have this ability, thus the placentas stay overlapped. A transfer of hormones takes place and thus the freemartin is created. Freemartins are very rare in polyoctus species because generally the placentas do not touch.

Gate opener, these are the first kids which will carry my stud prefix and so, if they are of good enough standard the does will become registered breeders. The bucks will probably be wethered and used for mohair production for two years, after which they will be slaughtered for meat (I also tan the skins as a secondary product, they make beautiful rugs). Although if one or both show a lot of potential I will keep them intact, grow them out to 18 months and sell them as stud bucks - these kids have excellent genetics behind them, some of the best in Australia, so they may turn out alright.

Thanks everyone for the comments. Sorry for the novel. Cowgirl, hope your girls kid alright.

Hope they do end up being good enough to become stud breeders for you Keren, If they keep going the way they are, it sounds like they will :)

Latest posts