Look for?

Help Support CattleToday:

I luv herfrds

Reaction score
Found a calf this evening caught on her side in the feed bunk. Don't know how long she was there. Got her out and she stumbled around, swaying from side to side, especially in the rear end. She caught her balance by leaning against the fence and stood there shaking for quite awhile.
Got her to walk again and she was steadier. Saw her pass some poo.
Is there any side effects I should look for?
No idea how long she was without water.

ILH how old is the calf?Also is there a reason why she fell into the feed bunk.Maybe she had something wrong with her before like a ruptured/perforated ulcer etc?? that has made her unsteady on her feet.

Are you finishing this one to have a feed bunk for it already?

I luv herfrds":dvclfqur said:
Found a calf this evening caught on her side in the feed bunk. Don't know how long she was there. Got her out and she stumbled around, swaying from side to side, especially in the rear end. She caught her balance by leaning against the fence and stood there shaking for quite awhile.
Got her to walk again and she was steadier. Saw her pass some poo.
Is there any side effects I should look for?
No idea how long she was without water.

Well, based on your post, it would seem this is not a weaning calf - most weaning calves are penned/supplemented - or you would probably be feeding it, and that would limit the timeline to 12-24 hours, depending on your feeding schedule. If the calf was being pasture weaned, the feedbunk scenario would probably not be an issue since calves don't generally butt other calves through the feedbunk - it usually takes a cow to do that. You don't mention anything about the mother raising cain about a missing calf, so that leads me to think the calf was not stuck for more than several hours or so. Unless I'm missing something here - I think I would simply monitor the calf, and make sure he/she continues to improve.

She was born March 12, 2007.
We are weaning the calves on Monday the 1st. Getting them in early with their mothers helps them learn to eat at a feed bunk.
It was hard to say if Mom was missing her or not. They were all bawling for food at that time.
The only reason I even saw her was her one hoof was sticking out. I was just about to cover her with hay. :shock:
hillsdown I am wondering if there was either a fight between a couple of cows and she got knocked into the bunk or if an old cow shoved her in. I'm going to check her this morning.

hillsdown":2ht196ux said:
Also is there a reason why she fell into the feed bunk.

Sure there is a reason - calves cannot compete with a cows size and strength.

Are you finishing this one to have a feed bunk for it already?

Calves tend to mimic their mothers and, if their mother is being fed via feedbunk, they tend to belly up to the feedbunk at about a month old. They also tend to get pushed/butted/shoved through the fence, and into the bunk on a regular basis until they are weaned - even then, it is not uncommon for them to end up in the feedbunk.

Latest posts