longhorns

Help Support CattleToday:

There are lots of Longhorn breeders here and many threads related to them. Use the "Search" feature in the toolbar and you'll find some threads. Welcome to the boards.

They are popular with those of us that have them, not so much with the commercial breeders. Depends on what you want to do with them.

Pricing varies from tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars for top quality registered bulls and cows to less than a dollar per pound at the sale barn. Longhorns will typically bring 10% to 30% less at the sale barn than comparable weight commercial breeds. That will be my last resort - direct sales of lean, grass fed, "natural" beef to individuals is what I'm trying to do. That's doable for a small operation but becomes increasingly difficult the larger you get. There was a recent thread on the breeds board from Running Arrow Bill about a new longhorn marketing alliance in Texas. Great idea if they can get it off the ground.

ETF":1zn4iuse said:
They are popular with those of us that have them, not so much with the commercial breeders. Depends on what you want to do with them.

Pricing varies from tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars for top quality registered bulls and cows to less than a dollar per pound at the sale barn. Longhorns will typically bring 10% to 30% less at the sale barn than comparable weight commercial breeds. That will be my last resort - direct sales of lean, grass fed, "natural" beef to individuals is what I'm trying to do. That's doable for a small operation but becomes increasingly difficult the larger you get. There was a recent thread on the breeds board from Running Arrow Bill about a new longhorn marketing alliance in Texas. Great idea if they can get it off the ground.

The "Texas Longhorn Cooperative" that was started this year is already up and running. A number of LH's have been processed. We've contributed 2 ourselves.

On a sidebar: At our area salebarns (several), any LH heavier or older than a 500# calf (e.g., adult) is selling for 40 to 50 cents a pound (at bottom of the "canner/cutter" category for other breeds). The steer & heifer calves are selling between 50 and 60 cents a pound. The "cooperative" proceeds are 2-3 times going rate that sale barn prices are. The Longhorn Cooperative is the way to go if you qualify as a "Natural Grass-Fed" producer.

For more info: http://www.txlonghorncoop.org

Running Arrow Bill":3pn5l45n said:
ETF":3pn5l45n said:

The "Texas Longhorn Cooperative" that was started this year is already up and running. A number of LH's have been processed. We've contributed 2 ourselves.

On a sidebar: At our area salebarns (several), any LH heavier or older than a 500# calf (e.g., adult) is selling for 40 to 50 cents a pound (at bottom of the "canner/cutter" category for other breeds). The steer & heifer calves are selling between 50 and 60 cents a pound. The "cooperative" proceeds are 2-3 times going rate that sale barn prices are. The Longhorn Cooperative is the way to go if you qualify as a "Natural Grass-Fed" producer.

For more info: http://www.txlonghorncoop.org

That's good news, Bill. My husband's complaint about the LH's he's had in the past is that they bring squat at sale. Of course, like everything else, LH's sell better to other LH people, just like my mini donks sell better to donkey people. You have to find someone who appreciates the breed. My husband loves Longhorns, even though he is an OU fan!