Longhorns and Longhorn crosses

Help Support CattleToday:

Rustler9

Reaction score
This is part of an article that ran in the February issue of the Trails. This is the monthly breed publication for the TLBAA-Texas Longhorn Breeders Assoc. of America. I thought this was an interesting article but didn't copy it word for word. I'm basically giving a summary of what he wrote:

The author is a longtime cattle rancher and ran a feedlot for about ten years. He runs about 150 commercial cows and began breeding his first calf heifers to Longhorn bulls about five years ago after getting tired of pulling calves. These are Angus-Limousin cross heifers. He says that before he started using Longhorn bulls on the heifers, he had held back breeding them so they would calve at 27 ot 28 months old and still would lose calves and some of the heifers. He now has them down to calving at 22 months old and has had to pull one calf in three years.

He admits that when marketing calves with alot of color that he gets hit 10 to 15 cents per pound. About 75% of his calves are solid colors and do fine when sold at weaning but he does take a hit on the balance.

He says that last year he decided to feed out some of his colored calves and see how they did.

This is what he wrote:

Calves were 1/2 Longhorn, 3/8 Angus, 1/8 Limousin out of first calf heifers.

Weaned at 205 days, weighed 510 lbs. average

Put out to pasture for 110 days, weighed 777 lbs. off of pasture (2.42 lbs. a day average gain)

Put on feed (growing and finishing ration) for 169 days

Gained 438 lbs. or 2.59 lbs. per day

The last 50 days on feed gained only 53 lbs. and were eating 37 to 40 lbs. per day

Went to packer at 484 days, or only a little over 16 months of age

Weighed 1,215 lbs. after 4% shrinkage
Graded PRIME-HANGING
WEIGHT WAS 693 LBS.
YIELDED 59+%

Consumed 3,110 lbs. of feed while on feed, converted at 7.1 to 1
These steers were fed a commercial feed from Hi-Pro Feeds (their growing and finishing ration)

He says that if he had taken them to the packer at 120 days, the steers would still have weighed about 1,160 lbs. and would have had an average daily gain in excess of 3.5 lbs. per day and would have still graded upper choice or better. The feed consumption would have been around 2,000 lbs. with a conversion of probably around 6 to 1.

He goes on to say that he knows that we'll never be able to convince commercial feedlot operators to trust colored cattle but is convinced that you can make money by feeding out Longhorn crossed cattle. That is if you can carry them all the way through and sell them on the rail. He also says that his biggest advantage is not having to pull calves and to be able to get a calf out of first calf heifers earlier. He raised these steers on the high Chihuahuan Desert of south central New Mexico and West Texas. They were pasture raised with no creep feed.

Did I just read that wrong or did he say that he put them on feed for 169 DAYS at 37 to 40 lbs of feed per day??? If they were eating 37 lb of feed a day for 169 days he would have 6253 lbs of feed in each steer to get 438 lbs of gain (a feed efficiency of 14.3 lbs of feed per pound of gain (ie-darned awful)). I am glad they graded prime; because the Yield Grade should have been dreadful. That had to be translated wrong somewhere

Brandonm2":21b9riqc said:
Did I just read that wrong or did he say that he put them on feed for 169 DAYS at 37 to 40 lbs of feed per day??? If they were eating 37 lb of feed a day for 169 days he would have 6253 lbs of feed in each steer to get 438 lbs of gain
Brandom2, go back and read this part again.

la4angus":22tfu3n2 said:
Brandonm2":22tfu3n2 said:
Did I just read that wrong or did he say that he put them on feed for 169 DAYS at 37 to 40 lbs of feed per day??? If they were eating 37 lb of feed a day for 169 days he would have 6253 lbs of feed in each steer to get 438 lbs of gain
Brandom2, go back and read this part again.

I still can't figure out what he is saying. If they only consumed 3100 pounds of feed but were eating 37-40 pounds a day for the last 50 days then I am expected to believe that they ate 1900 lbs of feed in the last 50 days and only gained a paultry 57 lbs; BUT in the 119 days before that they were only eating 10 lbs of feed a day???? and were gaining 3.5 lbs a day??? Who only feeds 10 lbs a day of finishing ration??? Then increases the ration to 40 lbs a day after 4 months in the feedlot??? I may be missing something (it has been too many years since I was in school doing word problems) but it looks to me like somebody has messed up on their math.

I probably shouldn't even have put this on here-just thought it was an interesting read. I don't know how many steers he fed out-it doesn't say.

Rustler9,

Thanks for the info. My longhorn cross calves always grade choice or prime. I run them as yearling and then feed for 120 days. I work them up to 10 pounds of grain and all the grass hay they can eat. Never had anyone complain about the meat not being any good.

Bobg

Rustler9":3vhbdna9 said:
I probably shouldn't even have put this on here-just thought it was an interesting read. I don't know how many steers he fed out-it doesn't say.

I'm glad you did. I'm always interested in how animals gain and grade, just wish it was online somewhere. (Aren't we spoiled to the internet :lol: ) IMO, the best way to handle the "unpopular" colored or marked cattle is to feed them yourself as this guy has done.

Brandonm2":32aog1jv said:
I still can't figure out what he is saying. If they only consumed 3100 pounds of feed but were eating 37-40 pounds a day for the last 50 days then I am expected to believe that they ate 1900 lbs of feed in the last 50 days and only gained a paultry 57 lbs; BUT in the 119 days before that they were only eating 10 lbs of feed a day???? and were gaining 3.5 lbs a day??? Who only feeds 10 lbs a day of finishing ration??? Then increases the ration to 40 lbs a day after 4 months in the feedlot??? I may be missing something (it has been too many years since I was in school doing word problems) but it looks to me like somebody has messed up on their math.
I didn't do the math either, but something doesn't jive.

Some statistics on how the Longhorns cope with the drought compared to other breeds would be interesting. I would be interested in more information on longhorn cross performance and grading, so do keep posting.

Latest posts