Longhorn question

Help Support CattleToday:

wtexasfam

Reaction score
Don't want my question to start any arguments but I'm curious as to how Longhorn producers make money? If you get dock at auctions and a lot of producers don't consider Longhorns anything more than an ornament, so there's no demand. Who buys them? Are longhorn operations something like a multi-level operation or what?. By the way I love Longhorns, maybe I watched too many western movies while growing up but would like to know … where is the money???

You have several options with the longhorn.Roping stock,heifer bulls and tough ole' momma cows. I don't have any but have been around a few.They do a good job as commercial cows. Plus you have the people that like to use them as lawn ornaments. I think they are a important part of American history and I hope someone always finds a use for them.

They're like any other breed unless your raising commercial beef. You have to make your money at registered breeding stock, private treaty sales and registered consignment sales. Then there's always beef-we all know that not every animal is worthy of breeding, right?

As Rustler said, private treaty sales and registered stock sales are where the money is. You can always sell them at a sale barn if you need quick cash, but you're going to take a beating. One other thing to consider - low operating expenses. They're very hardy and self sufficient, long lived, have very high successful birth rates, and do well on grass and OK on rougher forage that other cows won't eat. Lower costs mean we can sell at a lower price and still make money.

Money is from registered breeding stock from breeders wanting your genetics, color, and/or new breeders getting into Longhorns. Sale Barn sale: Expect flea market prices...I'll pass. Bulls for commercial cross-breeding: Expect generic prices since the commercial ranchers often try to lowball you on value, price. Nitch market: grass-fed, natural beef: 50 to 100% more selling price per pound than "commercial" beef. Horn/head mounts, hides, etc.

Colorful pasture ornaments: Decent prices.

Specialty longhorn breed auctions: Most are buyer's market. Only a small percentage command high prices (aka over $10K a head). The very top end sales (over $25,000) are IMO mostly result of "one-up-manship" bidding and status things.

Otherwise:

Longeveity, extremely easy calving, excellent browse conversion...will eat about anything, very hardy & disease resistant, "calf every year from every cow", gentle, easily trained, etc.

Running Arrow Bill":3s88nr3j said:
Only a small percentage command high prices (aka over $10K a head). The very top end sales (over $25,000) are IMO mostly result of "one-up-manship" bidding and status things.

Some will argue with me; but that is pretty much true for all beef cattle breeds.

when crossbreed to a good beef bull the off spring heifers make real good momma cows when breed to another beef breed

Brandonm2":tg5p2z9n said:
Running Arrow Bill":tg5p2z9n said:
Only a small percentage command high prices (aka over $10K a head). The very top end sales (over $25,000) are IMO mostly result of "one-up-manship" bidding and status things.

Some will argue with me; but that is pretty much true for all beef cattle breeds.

I agree totally there is the rare exception of a top-end name animal that could go up for sale in a disperal or the desolving of a partnership. But those are rare and dont make it to us "small timers" anyhow.
The rest is crap, nothing more.

Compared to your average salebarn cattle, average Longhorns will:
1.Cost half as much.
2.Eat half as much.
3.Live twice as long.
4.Calves will sell for half as much (@auction).

Longevity and hardiness is what makes the money for a cattleman with longhorns.

We have several 18+ year old limousin/longhorn crosses down near uvalde that have produced $400 salebarn calves out of brangus bulls their entire life. The original longhorn cows cost about $300. Never need to be fed. This is called a profitable operation... and we all eat chile meat.

This is also going by a commercial perspective, not breeder.

Low input. Like others above said. We have a dozen or so - they are fascinating animals, good mothers, easy keepers, long lived and I swear they calve twice a year. Buyers around hear can't seem to tell breed and just buy black. My black longhorn cross steers to great. Makes up for the colored descent shaped calves that get docked, I guess. :roll:

Hippie Rancher":1sdefb77 said:
Low input. Like others above said. We have a dozen or so - they are fascinating animals, good mothers, easy keepers, long lived and I swear they calve twice a year. Buyers around hear can't seem to tell breed and just buy black. My black longhorn cross steers to great. Makes up for the colored descent shaped calves that get docked, I guess. :roll:

We've had more than one "middle-aged" cow have 2 calves in the same year. They breed back fast. Of course our quality high libido bulls have a little something to do with that...lol.

Git-Er-Done!

I also like the look of longhorns, but they were use back in the day with herford cattle, reason being they both are rugged "easy pleasing" breeds. They do serve as recreation purposes, but as far as a small birth wieght? people use angus type cattle for that.

Latest posts