Longhorn Question?

Help Support CattleToday:

Lim-flex

Reaction score
I have a freind who has a couple of unregistered Longhorn cows with bull calves and a Longhorn bull. He must sell them soon. What should they be worth? Will they bring near the same price as anything else if taken to the sale barn? Thanks.

He'll most likely get docked on them, they discount for horns and colors at the sale barn. Maybe he should take them to West Texas and sale them there. They run registered and commercial Longhorns through there.

I agree. Unregistered, the best you could hope for is sale barn prices, or maybe slightly better going commercial through West. You can go to http://www.tlbaa.org and click on Calender of Events to see when the next one is, and you can call them to get any more info.

He might also try sticking an ad in the paper. Could find someone that is looking for some pretty yard art.... just an idea.

Ryan

Thanks. That was what I was thinking, someone out there needs them to look at. . They are at least fat and gentle.

Selling unregistered Longhorn cattle:

About one's only "chance" is at a Sale Barn or to a "commercial" cattleperson if they want some cross-breeding. Sale barn will get you a little "above" the bottom end of that sale category IF the LH's are mostly solid color and they are filled out well.

If the cattle are spotted colored, BCS of 4 or less, you can expect the bottom-end of that sale category LESS a few cents.

Non-registered LH's will NOT be bought by "Registered LH Producers" 99% of time.

However, IF the LH has an average or better rack and is colorful, you might be able to sell it as a "Pasture Ornament" to someone who has no interest in breeding that particular animal.

Alternately, you can MAKE money on one of these by butchering it and putting it in your freezer!

Afterthought:

If one takes a Longhorn that is not in the top 25% of their class (horn, color, body) to one of the ITLA or TLBAA "sponsored" sales, you will NOT get very good money! By the time you pay hauling and your expenses, consignment fee, commission, yardage fee, you will in all probability be money ahead taking the animal to your local Sale Barn!

And...unless the animal is registered, it will not be accepted at the sale sponsored by ITLA or TLBAA.

The "good money" at those LH sales are made by the top 5-10% of the cattle and sellers. The rest of the people and cattle make a lot less after expenses are paid. But, the sales are a good place to network, party, and window-shop... ;-)

Do not let the "glamour" of an Association sponsored sale cloud your vision and judgment in your hopes of making good money at one of those sales. Just go to one of their regular publications and/or online reports of sale results to verify what I have been saying.

Running Arrow Bill":fdd2tixu said:
Afterthought:

If one takes a Longhorn that is not in the top 25% of their class (horn, color, body) to one of the ITLA or TLBAA "sponsored" sales, you will NOT get very good money! By the time you pay hauling and your expenses, consignment fee, commission, yardage fee, you will in all probability be money ahead taking the animal to your local Sale Barn!

And...unless the animal is registered, it will not be accepted at the sale sponsored by ITLA or TLBAA.

The "good money" at those LH sales are made by the top 5-10% of the cattle and sellers. The rest of the people and cattle make a lot less after expenses are paid. But, the sales are a good place to network, party, and window-shop... ;-)

Do not let the "glamour" of an Association sponsored sale cloud your vision and judgment in your hopes of making good money at one of those sales. Just go to one of their regular publications and/or online reports of sale results to verify what I have been saying.

Good info. ;-)

Lim, They will probably be the cheapest cow-calf pairs at the sale barn. The bull will sell for 48-55 cents depending on his condition unless there are 2 people there wanting a heifer breeder. The pairs are worth 550-700 depending on the size of the calf. The longhorn pairs have come up considerably in price in the last few years because more people are finding out you can make more money on commercial calves with a cheap longhorn cow and a chaolais bull than you can on a 1500 dollar angus heifer. Longhorns dont eat much feed, will eat anything, they are very easy keepers, and have great longevity. I used to buy those longhorn pairs for 350, but I saw some cows with 300 lb calves last week bring 670 dollars. . I dehorn every longhorn cow I buy and they work great with the rest of the herd.

stocky":2g2bpu3x said:
Lim, They will probably be the cheapest cow-calf pairs at the sale barn. The bull will sell for 48-55 cents depending on his condition unless there are 2 people there wanting a heifer breeder. The pairs are worth 550-700 depending on the size of the calf. The longhorn pairs have come up considerably in price in the last few years because more people are finding out you can make more money on commercial calves with a cheap longhorn cow and a chaolais bull than you can on a 1500 dollar angus heifer. Longhorns dont eat much feed, will eat anything, they are very easy keepers, and have great longevity. I used to buy those longhorn pairs for 350, but I saw some cows with 300 lb calves last week bring 670 dollars. . I dehorn every longhorn cow I buy and they work great with the rest of the herd.

Interesting comments - I have been an advocate of using LH cows in commercial herds for years - they managed nicely - even in the far north of British Columbia and Alberta. And an added bonus - they cross with darned near anything.

Bez>

Bez>":145oz4iz said:
stocky":145oz4iz said:

Interesting comments - I have been an advocate of using LH cows in commercial herds for years - they managed nicely - even in the far north of British Columbia and Alberta. And an added bonus - they cross with darned near anything.

Bez>

They would be a great cow if you could get a polled model.

Cross them with a polled Charolais and you'll get mostly polled calves. I sold a 3/4 Longhorn heifer today that was polled. I've seen some 1/2 polled Hereford 1/2 Longhorn cows that were were awesome. Some were colored up like a Hereford, some speckled up like Longhorn and they were huge. They were polled.

lilmac":38ablqwo said:
Would the same thing happen with a polled Black Angus ???
Mac

They will come out polled and black... b/c polled and black are both dominant. However, they might still be spotted black and white

Are there any roping cattle breeders or roping horse trainers nearby who might want them?