Longhorn cross questions

Help Support CattleToday:

Massey135":29yom7vw said:
lack of cutability and growth. poor converters.

I understand that. I mean as a crossing option for the most part. Like using the bulls on heifers you are just about guaranteed calving ease with them. They're also the only naturally adapted cattle to America, they can survive just about anywhere. I'm not trying to say everyone should breed them, I'm just trying to understand why everyone hates them

bigrob":hvrqb934 said:
Massey135":hvrqb934 said:
lack of cutability and growth. poor converters.

I understand that. I mean as a crossing option for the most part. Like using the bulls on heifers you are just about guaranteed calving ease with them. They're also the only naturally adapted cattle to America, they can survive just about anywhere. I'm not trying to say everyone should breed them, I'm just trying to understand why everyone hates them
Around here they sell for about half of what a dairy calf brings and dairycalves don;t bring squat. Although about 50 miles from here is a guy that has acouple of hundred lhorn cows in his pasture and what looks like some Holstein bulls but they may be steers.

bigrob":3ibka32i said:
heath":3ibka32i said:
I have several LHxLimi and LHxAngus cows and breed them to Angus or brangus bulls, the brangus seem to grow better. I have one old full LH I paid $275 for, she's made me money every year. I keep thinking she wont make it to wean another calf, but i keep her since she's not worth anything at the stockyards.

I've heard that longhorns can live about 30 years or so. That's a lot of calves over the years. I'm starting to think its got something to do with the brahma influence making the better cows
long horn and brahman can have long life spans, just slower maturing im sure a cross bred can add a few more years to it,, though i dont like the idea of the cross... not in my country,, where grass is avalible

deenranch":108zot1s said:
I have sold several Charolais bull to longhorn owners. I always ask them why?

Their reply is pretty much the same...

Charolais will knock the horns off ( if polled bull is used) and will know the spots off...

I have been raising registered Longhorns for 30 years....... longhorn cross cattle only retain 30% of the longhorn traits.

If your selling calves young (300-350) and at auction you'll probably be fine, by 500 the longhorn will be showing enough in conformation to affect your sale price. If you want to wean them and sell them to repeat customers you'll be SOL. Poor feed conversion and little to no finish will severely discount them to any feedyard, regardless of what you cross them to. Slower maturing is a nice way of saying they don't put on weight worth a darn. Longhorns have a place and someone needs to keep breeding them for the genetic diversity but your just :bang: if your trying to raise a beef calf that is commercially viable.

Latest posts