Longhorn cross questions

Help Support CattleToday:

bigrob":2ddez6ff said:
U Lazy 2 Ranch":2ddez6ff said:
I have bred LH cows to Angus and herford bulls the herford cross made good mamas. never kept any from the angus.Out of the ones i raised from the angus they had the frame of the LH. the herfords bulked up a bit better. Im not cutting down the angus but i just bought the cheapest bulls i could find back then. now i do a better job buying bulls.imo :cowboy:

Thanks. I have read the Hereford crosses are really good mothers. If I use a Hereford/longhorn F1 what bull would you recommend for them?
Those hereford/longhorn f1s will be wild colored. The only cross I would personally use a limo over char for terminal use would be on longhorn cows. They do a better job and uniforming the longhorn x calf. Just from longhorn x herds ive seen and passed by, the limo does a great job at covering the spots and stamping solid red calves. Uniformity is the reason I prefer a char over limo on random crossbred cows as all will express the diluter and with red limo being a recessive color- you'll get colors all across the board.

If I wanted to create an F1 replacement starting with the longhorn, I would use a gert or brangus. No other breed that ive used will stamp their calves like these two composites. GERT x LONGHORN f1 X Fullblood LIMO= :2cents: :2cents:

Red Bull Breeder":knx8ydeo said:
No breed living will dehorn all the calves in a herd of longhorn cows.

I sold a Black Galloway bull to a guy with 50 Lonnghorn cows. All F1 calves were polled. The F1 calves all came out solid colored, except the ones that had a white stripe on their back, the calves did too.

bigrob":3c3kwinu said:
U Lazy 2 Ranch":3c3kwinu said:
I have bred LH cows to Angus and herford bulls the herford cross made good mamas. never kept any from the angus.Out of the ones i raised from the angus they had the frame of the LH. the herfords bulked up a bit better. Im not cutting down the angus but i just bought the cheapest bulls i could find back then. now i do a better job buying bulls.imo :cowboy:

Thanks. I have read the Hereford crosses are really good mothers. If I use a Hereford/longhorn F1 what bull would you recommend for them?
I use a char bull on the cross cows seems to work well for me. :cowboy:

The Beefmaster/Longhorn cross makes one heck of a mama cow taht you can breed to any bull you want to. I've used this cross for several years. Almost all have come out solid colored-red or dun or what we call in the Longhorn world Parker brown which is a black cow with brown on the ears, muzzle and down the back. People can knock Longhorns all they want to but I know plenty of people who are making money using Longhorn and Longhorn cross mama cows. These cows have the mothering ability, longevity and great foraging ability that some others don't have.

bigrob":25flntkh said:
Red Bull Breeder":25flntkh said:
The Char bulls won't always knock the spots off. But will take alot of the color away. No breed living will dehorn all the calves in a herd of longhorn cows. Char and Red limousin make the best cross on longhorn cows i have seen. Red Limousin may have a bit of and edge on making the calves a solid color.

What could I expect in a limousin/longhorn cross? I am very interested in using the limousin, be ause that is what my grandfather used to run.

If you use a red fullblood limousin bull most all the calves will be yellow to red and solid color. A friend on mine has some limousinxlonghorn cows bred back to a char bull that does well at the sale barn. They are nice morderate framed cow with some meat on there bones. Breed back well and live off the land pretty well.

Massey135":qqa58nwp said:
bigrob":qqa58nwp said:
U Lazy 2 Ranch":qqa58nwp said:

Those hereford/longhorn f1s will be wild colored. The only cross I would personally use a limo over char for terminal use would be on longhorn cows. They do a better job and uniforming the longhorn x calf. Just from longhorn x herds ive seen and passed by, the limo does a great job at covering the spots and stamping solid red calves. Uniformity is the reason I prefer a char over limo on random crossbred cows as all will express the diluter and with red limo being a recessive color- you'll get colors all across the board.

If I wanted to create an F1 replacement starting with the longhorn, I would use a gert or brangus. No other breed that ive used will stamp their calves like these two composites. GERT x LONGHORN f1 X Fullblood LIMO= :2cents: :2cents:

I've been thinking about using the brangus on some longhorn cows but haven't had any feedback on that. I am also very interested in the Santa Gertrudis and limousin breeds as well. Thank you for your advice on this. I really appreciate it

Galloway2":1qkndil4 said:
Red Bull Breeder":1qkndil4 said:

I sold a Black Galloway bull to a guy with 50 Lonnghorn cows. All F1 calves were polled. The F1 calves all came out solid colored, except the ones that had a white stripe on their back, the calves did too.

I'm not familiar with the Galloway breed, but I do see some people say they cross them with angus and get a really good calf. What are the pros to using the Galloway bulls?

U Lazy 2 Ranch":jx6c79ao said:
bigrob":jx6c79ao said:
U Lazy 2 Ranch":jx6c79ao said:

I use a char bull on the cross cows seems to work well for me. :cowboy:

I'm starting to like the idea of a Charolais bull more and more these days. Won't the calves still be kinda spotted, just yellow and white?

Rustler9":37qouxbh said:
The Beefmaster/Longhorn cross makes one heck of a mama cow taht you can breed to any bull you want to. I've used this cross for several years. Almost all have come out solid colored-red or dun or what we call in the Longhorn world Parker brown which is a black cow with brown on the ears, muzzle and down the back. People can knock Longhorns all they want to but I know plenty of people who are making money using Longhorn and Longhorn cross mama cows. These cows have the mothering ability, longevity and great foraging ability that some others don't have.

I believe it was some of your older posts I read about the beefmaster/longhorn crosses being exceptional mama cows. What would you use for a terminal bull on this cross personally? Also what would you add to this for a possible replacement?

Red Bull Breeder":1ab95ha9 said:
bigrob":1ab95ha9 said:
Red Bull Breeder":1ab95ha9 said:
The Char bulls won't always knock the spots off. But will take alot of the color away. No breed living will dehorn all the calves in a herd of longhorn cows. Char and Red limousin make the best cross on longhorn cows i have seen. Red Limousin may have a bit of and edge on making the calves a solid color.

What could I expect in a limousin/longhorn cross? I am very interested in using the limousin, be ause that is what my grandfather used to run.

If you use a red fullblood limousin bull most all the calves will be yellow to red and solid color. A friend on mine has some limousinxlonghorn cows bred back to a char bull that does well at the sale barn. They are nice morderate framed cow with some meat on there bones. Breed back well and live off the land pretty well.

Thanks I appreciate the information

bigrob":2frouyol said:
Galloway2":2frouyol said:
Red Bull Breeder":2frouyol said:

I'm not familiar with the Galloway breed, but I do see some people say they cross them with angus and get a really good calf. What are the pros to using the Galloway bulls?

Galloway cattle are an extremely hardy, feed efficient, maternal breed. They have structural soundness, and outstanding longevity. They feed out well, and produce a highly marbled carcass with very little backfat. They are very good grazers, will cover miles to find feed, and will eat just about anything. They have shown resistance to "high altitude disease", as well as many external parasites. They are a true outcross to all breeds. They have many positive qualities that can benefit most cattle operations.

For the F1 mothers the char, Herf, limo or gerts or beefmasters or simm would be good. Don't know any thing about the Galloway so can't say. As far as the terminal bull on them char or limo.
Back when longhorns were cheep I wish I had bought up a passle of them. Don't let the LH basher's get on you either. Net money is what counts , plenty of people running the "in" breeds that are loosing there azz.

I have several LHxLimi and LHxAngus cows and breed them to Angus or brangus bulls, the brangus seem to grow better. I have one old full LH I paid $275 for, she's made me money every year. I keep thinking she wont make it to wean another calf, but i keep her since she's not worth anything at the stockyards.

jedstivers":v7sb5y40 said:
For the F1 mothers the char, Herf, limo or gerts or beefmasters or simm would be good. Don't know any thing about the Galloway so can't say. As far as the terminal bull on them char or limo.
Back when longhorns were cheep I wish I had bought up a passle of them. Don't let the LH basher's get on you either. Net money is what counts , plenty of people running the "in" breeds that are loosing there azz.

I have a tendency to do what I wanna do anyway lol. I'm thinking about just AI'ing with several of those and just go from there starting out anyway. That way I could have first hand experience with each. Thanks for the suggestions

heath":3iv7bqj4 said:
I have several LHxLimi and LHxAngus cows and breed them to Angus or brangus bulls, the brangus seem to grow better. I have one old full LH I paid $275 for, she's made me money every year. I keep thinking she wont make it to wean another calf, but i keep her since she's not worth anything at the stockyards.

I've heard that longhorns can live about 30 years or so. That's a lot of calves over the years. I'm starting to think its got something to do with the brahma influence making the better cows

Thanks for the information Galloway2. That seems like alot of the right things in one package

BigRob,
I would use a Charolais bull on the LonghornxBeefmaster brood cows for a terminal cross calf. They will grow like tanks and I think some of those heifers would be good mama cows as well. You've already got great mothering ability from your Longhorn and Beefmaster in them. I really don't know why more people don't have 1/4 to 1/2 Longhorn blood in their commercial mamas. It just makes sense to me.

Rustler9":fkj6kpd3 said:
BigRob,
I would use a Charolais bull on the LonghornxBeefmaster brood cows for a terminal cross calf. They will grow like tanks and I think some of those heifers would be good mama cows as well. You've already got great mothering ability from your Longhorn and Beefmaster in them. I really don't know why more people don't have 1/4 to 1/2 Longhorn blood in their commercial mamas. It just makes sense to me.

That sounds like a good combination to me. I don't know where or why the longhorns got the bad reputation from. Everyone I've ever been around has been fairly calm and easy to work with.

Massey135":u444hgfm said:
lack of cutability and growth. poor converters.

Do you mean how many lbs of feed per lb of gain? cause most of what i read has stated them to be efficient in that area it was lbs of gain per day where they lacked cause you couldnt get a longhorn steer to pack down as much food in a day as other breeds. just asking not trying to argue.

Latest posts