Longhorn breeders

Help Support CattleToday:

WORANCH":i3t0j6jc said:
WagaAgeyv":i3t0j6jc said:
WORANCH":i3t0j6jc said:
I'm sure everthing posted here is true about Longhorns

"BUT"
you can get the same good qualities in most breeds ..

How many people have you heard of have been told to stay away from red meat?
If you read the cholesterol count, Fat and calories and tell me what good qualities there are.
foodQualities.jpg

Also here is the links for other helpful information. or visit http://www.tlbaa.org.
http://tlbaa.org/longhornbeef.html
http://tlbaa.org/breed/why.html

breedguidelines.jpg

Now why wouldn't you have longhorns! :D

OK I was'nt going to post on this again but you brought it up .

First your chart just says longhorn it does'nt say what cut of meat was compared to the others . I'm sure LH meat is leaner with no fat . But I did notice on the web site it stated:

1 Be careful not to overcook it.

2 Watch it closely while cooking

3 Add damp mesquite or cherry wood chips to the fire for an extra flavor.

4 Remember, the meat cooks quickly so watch it carefully.

I think this is just warnings not to over cook, are it will be like shoe leather. But is over cooking ,medium rare or medium?
and it may have no taste.
Maybe you can help me by posting a link showing shear force test on LH beef compared to other breeds to show how tender it is .

Now lets look at the other link you posted

Tradition & Nostalgia. The Texas Longhorn is the living symbol of the Old West. Wherever the western influence is desired-front pasture, cattle drive, or tourist attraction-you'll find a demand for this magnificent breed.

Horns & Hide. The Texas Longhorn is worth money even after it has outlived its usefulness as a beef producer. Top dollars are paid for the horns, skulls, and mounts that are used in the popular Southwestern decor of businesses and homes.

Even TLBAA will admit LH are raised for Tradition & Nostalgia and Horns & Hide..

Warpaint said this was not about other breeds but statements like this to beginers leaves the impression that other breeds have to be watched 24 hours aday while calving . THATS NOT TRUE . I have not pulled a calf for size or lost a cow durring calving in along time , does it happen, yes .

Having to do a 24-hour watch to help pull calves, with the potential to lose a percentage of calves and/or cows, wasn't something I was interested in. The breeder we bought ours from has raised longhorns for 24 years and has yet to pull the first calf. They are also highly disease resistant and almost completely self sufficient. I check on mine about once a week - go down with a bucket of range

LH are no more Disease/Parasite Resistance than most other breeds . The first vac. given to our cattle was for Bangs in the mid 70s .

LH breeders are almost as bad as Angus breeders about claiming their breed is the cure all for the cattle business.

I know all the LH breeders will be all over me but I want to ask one thing .
ANSWER TRUTHFULY

what % of your calves do you sell as culls (bulls and heifers)?

well 2 things Do you ever ultersound your bulls or calves?

I will have more later I have a few chores to do now .. :D

That is why I added the website it states to the side exactly what to do to the meat. I had a lady who owns a catering company that wants me to certify my next slaughter and sell her part so she can serve it as one of her specialty menus she has to have a selective menu for. The only meat leaner is deer and you can's certify a deer here.

You longhorn folks aint gonna like me much cause I love eating your babies. Excellent flavor. Just name them all T-Bone or Rib-Eye.

I love eating fajitas too.

WagaAgeyv":3gcgc04b said:
That is why I added the website it states to the side exactly what to do to the meat. I had a lady who owns a catering company that wants me to certify my next slaughter and sell her part so she can serve it as one of her specialty menus she has to have a selective menu for. The only meat leaner is deer and you can's certify a deer here.

I would give it a try . Alot of people are looking for leaner meat to try to stay healthy, and It never hurts to have someone pushing your product.

By the way I like the cow with the twist in her horns ,thats the way LH are supposed to look. :D

Good Luck

Besides horn length, is there any major difference in Texas Longhorns and Florida Crackers? Are Piney Woods cattle the same as FL. Crackers? They're all Spanish cattle. What are the differences? Just curious.